23: Trust (Betryal AU)

Comenzar desde el principio

Soul wasn't sure how to feel about the fact he didn't hear Sabre leave.

Soul got his answer a few days later, when Corruption decided a smoothie was what he wanted to help cool down.

As beings of Darkness, they had to constantly keep their temperature down unlike every other living thing. Living in a cold lair with lava keeping the place just warm enough so they don't get sick was usually a blessing.

It wasn't a blessing when the summer decided to reach new highs in temperature, leaving them all struggling in the heat as the lair quickly became an oven.

Even Sabre, who was more accustomed to warmth than the Darkness, clearly was feeling the effects judging by the thin sheen of sweat on his forehead.

Sabre and Shadow were splayed out of the floor, both in the same position. Soul didn't know whether or not they realized that or not, but he found it humorous.

Both of them had their hoodies off. Shadow was using him as a pillow as he complained about the fact the second week of being physical and he had to deal with a heat wave. Sabre has his hoodie tied around his waist, staring up at the ceiling with his arms held out to the side.

Soul felt an uncomfortable twisting in his gut at the several scars lining Sabre's arms. Slashes, cuts, burns, lighting; All tracing up and down his arms. He wondered how many scars he couldn't see.

Corruption came walking in with one cup in his hand while three others were being held by his arm against his chest; Metal straws sticking out of them all. Soul was handed a cup of the violet smoothie when Corruption walked up to him. Soul sighed when the cold glass met his hand.

Shadow pushed himself up and took his with a quickness, while Sabre seemed almost hesitant to even touch the glass after he sat up. He stared down at the liquid, mouth pressed into a line.

"It's fine." Shadow huffed, taking a sip. "You're not going to die."

Sabre just spun the smoothie around with his straw. "...are you sure?" Soul blinked, glancing between the two. "It just looks a lot like the potions and all."

Shadow took a long sip. "I'm sure."

Corruption and Soul shared a look. They knew Sabre had trust issues, but this badly? Soul cleared his throat, drawing the attention of the two. "Is...something wrong?"

Sabre winced, tucking inwards while Shadow gave a huff. "You or me?" Shadow asked.

Sabre fiddled with the straw, the quiet clicking filling the room. "...you can."

Shadow nodded, turning to stare at them, face serious. He sat up straight when he realized what look Shadow had on. "You know those love potions the Violet Steves make?" He began.

Soul and Corruption nodded slowly. What did that have to do with anything? He glanced at Sabre, who wasn't looking at any of them.

"Well, they're poison to us. And not a quick acting one either." Shadow deadpanned. "Some Steve found out when Sabre was living in the Kingdom."

Soul felt a pit drop in his stomach. Corruption let out a quiet gasp.

Sabre cleared his throat. "Light and I went out to eat one day." Sabre spoke up, still gazing down at his drink. "Some Steve found out about it and spread the news to the others. I knew that didn't like me, but I didn't even think-" Sabre's voice became strained. There was a quiet pause. "I tried something I never had before that day, so I didn't even realize the taste was off and-" Sabre stopped. He spun the smoothie around slowly. "I don't like eating food I didn't see prepared." He added.

"I realized something was wrong." Shadow picked back up. "They couldn't see me, so I slipped back into the kitchen. They were celebrating!" He hissed, squeezing the glass.

"Had Shadow not heard and told me, I would have died."

The room was silent. Corruption walked out of the room briskly, and they soon heard the sounds of something breaking.

Soul felt the urge to stand up and go burn the Rainbow Kingdom to the ground, but he pushed it down. Sabre stirred the smoothie slowly with the straw.

"Hey," Soul grabbed Sabre's attention. "Why don't we go to the kitchen and make another one for you to drink if you're not comfortable drinking that one."

Sabre opened and closed his mouth a few times, before nodding. Shadow took the cup from Sabre. "Mine."

Sabre laughed, a small smile appearing on his face.

It was going to be rough, but Soul was glad Sabre was at least starting to trust them. The Chromatics had their chance and ruined it. Now it was theirs.

— — —

Words: 1379