~5~

Maya Jackson.

It's been about a month since I had been in the hospital. I go back to work today and I'm nervous.

It's only six in the morning and I'm already up and dressed. I don't have to be at work until eight.

I sat down on my couch, switching through different channels to find something to calm my mind.

I found a show that caught my attention. I ended up spending the next hour watching it.

It's now 7am. I got up off my couch, turning my tv off. I grabbed my gun and phone and headed out of my apartment.

I was worried for today, but I couldn't just sit and waste in my apartment.

I got in my car, driving to the LAPD.

I watched as the cars around me blurred.

I couldn't let what Aaron Hugo did affect me. I'm way too strong...

I repeated that over and over.

I finally got to the LAPD. I parked my car.

Walking into the LAPD after a month felt strange. But it's where I belong. I live to help and protect others no matter the cost.

This is what matters to me. Nothing that happens to me matters.

Sargent Grey approached me.
"Hello Maya, how are you doing?"

"I'm living, that's all that matters." I softly smiled at him.

"Take it easy for these next two days. You will still be by yourself, just don't take any big calls without making sure someone is there with you." He gave me a soft smile, before we both walked into the conference room.

He gave us a brief on what's going to happen today. Also asked the rookies questions. Well they aren't rookies anymore but they always will be to me.

I drove around all day, I only did basic stuff like parking tickets and traffic violations.

I got back to the station. I sat down with everyone and we talked about what happened today.

I went with our little circle of close friends to the bar.

I limited how much I drank because I didn't need a recap of the last time.

These people make me feel safe. I know that if I'm with them nothing bad will ever happen. They will always be my number ones. Forever and always. Seeing  Angela Nyla and Tim all smile together and cheer brought a smile to my face.

I was closed off in the corner of this booth, just listening and watching as my friends had conversations, told funny stories and some information about hookups they've been having.

"So Maya, anything fun with you recently?" Nyla smiled.

"No, I've just stayed in my apartment."

That's when the conversation ended. A fight broke out at the bar. I immediately got up and broke the men apart from one another. Taking them back to the station.

Why does this always happen?