048. 'you two are dancing in a snow globe, 'round and 'round'

.༻⊰❂⊱༺

XLVIII

XLVIII. THE DAY HE REALISED HE WAS IN LOVE

━━━━━━

"And you understand now why they lost their minds and fought the wars

And why I've spent my whole life tryin' to put it into words"

         DODIE HATE TO SAY IT, but the rest of the summer seemed strange because it was just too normal even though they just went through the first of many bloodiest battle they would have to to endure.

It had left an indelible mark on their memories. After the battle, there were countless half-bloods in need of therapy, to endure the fact that that was only the beginning. However, Camp Half-Blood's daily activities continued on as if untouched: archery, rock climbing, Pegasus riding. Hell, even the time-honoured game of capture the flag made a cautious return, albeit with a notable avoidance of the area near Zeus's Fist, a place that held the haunting memories of their recent ordeal.

They found solace in the familiarity of singing at campfires, racing chariots, and playing practical jokes in the other cabins. Yet something was always amiss in these happy moments. The absence of Lee left an unfillable void that shadowed even their brightest moments.

Well, at least for Dodie anyway.

She was slowly coming to terms with the death of her brother, but it was hard to not think of him every day when everywhere she was to look, she would be reminded of him. So, she had tried to busy her mind and spent most of her days in the infirmary more than she usually did. But she was never alone, though. These days, it seems rare for her to be alone when the presence of Percy Jackson would always be at her side almost at all times.

He seemed to always be around her and honestly, she was glad that he was always there with her. Because, admittedly, when she wasn't around him, it hurt. It also hurts being around him as well, frankly, because it's the reminder that she had boldly kissed him before and now they acted like it was nothing — but she couldn't blame him for that. It was her fault to begin with because he did many times try to raise that topic, only for her to cowardly shut it down with something else.

And maybe Percy also got the idea that they shouldn't talk about that kiss no matter how much he wanted to as soon enough, he ended up dropping it and simply helping her around the infirmary while he could, before scurrying elsewhere to find Mrs. O'Leary and accompany her, because she, too, was reeling in the grief of the lost of her old master.

July segued into August, with fireworks on the beach of the Fourth before the scorching summer heat descended upon them. Strawberries in the fields bore the brunt of the unrelenting sun, baking under its fiery gaze. The end of summer approached with the last day of camp, a poignant reminder of their impending departure. The ever-predictable form letter arrived on the beds of the departing members of Cabin Seven, warning them about the cleaning harpies that would devour them if they didn't vacate by noon.