028. 'where there clues I didn't see?'

.༻⊰❂⊱༺.

XXVIII

XXVIII. THE DAY I REALISED THE INVISIBLE STRINGS REALLY DO INTERTWINE FATES

━━━━━━

"Gave me no compasses, 

gave me no signs"

          IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE TO SLEEP a wink. Dodie could hardly sleep a wink.

There was just no way that she could possibly sleep in peace in general, much less after discovering something she wished she didn't. And in spite of the severity of the discovery, Chiron had insisted for them to talk about it in the morning. That was like saying, "Hey, I know this looks really bad and your lives might be in danger soon enough, but sleeping on it might make you forget about it!" Like, as if!

Not even the soothing sounds of brown noises like the peaceful snores of her siblings could quite ease the anxiety that was slowly eating her up. This was bad for them. Before this, they had at least a bit of reassurance that they would be safe until the beginning of the calamity that they thought would happen by the camp borders. But now, with the idea that there was another entrance into the heart of camp and they couldn't so easily get rid of it, she was starting to wish the sky had fallen and crush on her six months ago.

This was like finding out she had the PSAT in a few years.

As the morning sun rose, signalling the arrival of a new day, Dodie was still haunted by daunting thoughts. All camp counsellors were required to assemble in the sword arena, an odd setting to discuss the camp's fate, especially when Mrs. O'Leary was happily chewing on a life-sized squeaky pink rubber yak nearby, adding an unintentionally comical touch to the situation.

Walking toward the arena with Lee, Dodie couldn't help but express her concerns. She toyed with the ends of her hair, a nervous habit of hers, and said, "You know you don't have to come, right? We're not going to be discussing anything pleasant, and..."

"Are you kidding me?" Lee interrupted her, his tone earnest. He had noticed Dodie's growing unease since the morning, and he was certain it had something to do with what had transpired the previous night. While he often allowed Dodie to handle things on her own, this time was different. "You may be the head counselor, but I'm your co-counselor. We always attend meetings together. If this is about war, I think I have every right to be there," he stated with a determined expression. "You can't keep protecting us on your own forever..."

"I'm well aware of that, don't get me wrong. But I do wish that was the case..." Dodie's voice trailed.

Lee's eyes softened at his sister, who often bore her feelings in a bottle of her heart. She rarely talks of how scared she was regarding this whole war to any of them, and hearing her sound it out for the first time, whether directly or indirectly, it was still something so jarring. But before he could say anything more, they had already arrived at the sword arena.