75 - Lying

. . .

Olivia

"Why are you pacing?" I asked Ivan as I stood in front of him, looking up at the tall man. We were in a hallway that led to the living room, well, one of them. I was on my way there when I saw him. The Creeds were there. I could hear their voices, and some other voices, but couldn't tell what they were saying.

He looked down at me, the depth of his cheeks signaled that he was biting into it. "Nothing." His usual pale skin was somehow paler. He looked like a sick vampire.

"Is it something related to the Creeds?" It definitely was.

"No."

"If it is I can help."

"No."

I sighed. "You stubborn man. I'm going."

I walked about three steps away.

"Wait."

He walked closer, his jaw clenching and unclenching. "I asked Daisy to marry me."

I choked on thin air. "What? That's so awesome! I'm so happy-"

"Thank you, Miss Woods," he said, very stiffly. "I need to tell the Creeds and...I am going to ask them to give me another job. Something that will...allow me to go back home to Daisy."

"...Oh."

"Yes."

"Well," I said, my voice a bit wobbly. I knew for a fact that he wouldn't bother with me if he didn't have to after he got another job. "They aren't going to be happy about this. So, you've come to the right person."

"I did not come-"

"I will walk away and make them mad right now."

He gave me a humourless smile. "You're learning."

"Come on, buddy. Let's get you a job."

I was nervous to go to the living room, but probably not as nervous as Ivan. Ivan knew how to completely hide his expressions, and the fact that he was allowing himself to chew a hole into his cheek was saying a lot.

I walked in, followed by Ivan. I stopped short seeing Fabiano, Giovanni, and Dante. I didn't know they were here, too.

All six pairs of eyes landed on me, and then Ivan.

"Hey."

"Hey, baby."

Zavier stood and walked towards me, grabbing me in his arms and pulling me to the couch. He sat down and put me on his lap. Giovanni was sitting beside us. He gave me a sharp smile. Xerxes, Fabiano, and Ashton were sitting on another couch. Dante was standing near a window, staring out of it.

Ivan stood there. "I wanted to ask you something."

"What is it?" Xerxes asked. His voice was so...cold. I'd never get used to it.

"I asked Daisy to marry me."

Xerxes set his glass of whiskey down on the table, glancing at me, and then looking back at Ivan. "Congrats," he said in a monotone voice. "What do you want to ask?"

Ivan glanced at me. Zavier's arms tightened around me. I frowned up at him. He dropped a kiss on my forehead.

"I'd like you to change my job," Ivan said.

"No," Ashton said without mission a beat. "You're a Bratva deserter, Ivan. You're supposed to be proving yourself, not asking for things."

Ivan gave a stiff nod. "Understood.'

What?

"Leave."

He did, I saw a line of blood at the corner of his mouth. But he didn't let anything else show.

I got off Zavier's lap after squirming for a while because his arms were made of steel. He let me go with a huff.

I stood there, facing the six men. I would have preferred for only the Creeds to be here for this, but I couldn't gather the courage to ask the Valentinos to leave.

"What was that?" I asked. "He wants to marry her. He wants to spend time with her. Let him!"

"Olivia, baby, it's not that simple," Zavier said, very calmly.

"Then tell me how complex it is." I folded my arms against my chest. "Because to me, it's pretty simple. A man who loves a woman wants to marry her and be able to spend time with her without having to follow another woman around."

Ashton stood, grabbing my arm. "Let's talk about this later, yes?"

I looked up at him. He had barely talked to me all these previous days. What was the point of this all if they were going to be this weird? It was as if every interaction started stiff, got soft, and the same cycle kept happening.

I took my arm out of his grip. "I'll go sleep."

"Baby."

I shook my head, walking out of the living room. Ivan was leaning against a wall, staring down at his hands.

He looked up. "Don't worry about me, Olivia," he said softly. "I'll keep you safe, just like I promised."

"But, it's not fair," I whispered. I didn't want the Creeds and the Vanetinos to know how teary my voice had become. "I'll talk to them more. I'll make sure they agree."

He wiped the blood off from the side of his lips. He would have looked like a vampire if he didn't look so...sad. Well, as sad as he could look. Which wasn't much. But after spending months with this guy, I knew a thing or two about him.

"I don't want to jeopardize your relationship," he said. "I know it's not...as strong as it used to be yet. I will figure something out." He gave my shoulder a gentle squeeze and walked away.

I sighed. Looking back at the living room entrance.

I wished one of them, or all of them, would walk out. Follow me. But they wouldn't.

I had trained them to be without me all these months. They were used to feeling the sadness my absence brought. They no longer chased it away.

I walked away, my throat tightening with each step I took. I needed someone. I needed something. I needed to...get these emotions out.

"Olivia."

I looked over my shoulder at Giovanni.

He frowned down at my red face. "You care this much about Ivan?"

I shrugged. "He's my friend. Daisy is my friend. They kept me sane all these months. You did, too." I let out a shaky breath. "What are you doing in Paris?"

"I'm here for some business."

I nodded. "Okay."

"Have you eaten?"

"Yes," I lied and walked away before he could tell me he knew I was lying.

. . .