41 - Reaction

You call me a monster

I'd gladly let you rip these claws off

. . .

Olivia Woods

I was barely aware of my surroundings till Miss Summers lowered herself to the chair across from mine.

I blinked, slowly, and then gave her a tiny smile. "Hello, Miss Summers."

She looked worried. She gently took my hands which were pressed around the cup. "What's wrong?"

I bit the inside of my cheek. "It's nothing."

"You do realize that there is no way I'll believe that, right?" She asked. "You don't have to tell me, of course. But you don't mind me sitting here, do you?"

I slowly shook my head. "No...you should try some coffee," I whispered. "It's really good here."

She smiled. "I know." She turned her head and she smile widened as a man approached. He was the barista.

"Rick." She stood, pulling him in for a hug. "How are you?"

"I'm good, grams," he said, voice thick in a French accent. He looked down at me and I noticed the similarities. Same dark eyes and the shape of the jaw. Rick was good-looking. He scratched the side of his head, dreads brushing his wide shoulders. Some of them were dyed blue - which looked really pretty.

"You want anything else?"

I shook my head. "No, thank you."

He turned to Miss Summers. "Dinner at the Arnauds' tonight, right?"

"Yes. Be on time."

"I always am."

"I have never heard a falser statement."

He shot her a grin and walked away.

Miss Summers sat down. "He is your age," she said. "My daughter had him when she was...too young."

"I...I didn't know..."

"That I have a family?" She asked. "Not many people know. I'm on many people's shitlist - and hit list."

I chuckled. "I am not surprised."

She grinned back. "What's wrong, honey? Who do I need to beat up? I may be getting old but my left hook is better than ever."

"I..." I sighed and looked into her kind eyes for a while.

And then I spilled.

She listened patiently, face showing nothing. When I was done, I took a sip of my coffee, the cup trembling in my hand.

"The videos disappeared? Along with the contact?"

"Yes."

"Interesting..." She rubbed her knuckles on her neck, eyes looking out of the window right beside us. "You knew about the mafia thing, Olivia."

"I didn't till I fell in love with them," I said. "All that time, I thought they were forced into it. So, I secretly sympathized. But then...I guess I never took the time to wrap my head around it."

I set the cup down, a finger circling its time.

"I don't blame you for your reaction. Stop looking guilty," she said. "Anyone seeing that would lose it. I'd say you handled it better than most people would."

"By saying that I was scared of them when that's the farthest thing from the truth?" I whispered.

"But you are scared."