Chapter 14: Blank Canvases

After his return to Kuoh on a Friday afternoon, Issei found himself engrossed in the mysteries of the new weapons he had acquired, especially Samael's Poisoned Imbued sword, the same weapon that Loki had used to end his life. Unable to wield it yet, Issei pondered the enigma of its creator, a persistent annoyance in his life. Another puzzle plaguing him was the apparition known as Dark-sei, whose revelations had shaken his understanding of reality and existence.

The weekend passed in a blur of research and introspection. When Monday arrived, Issei entered Kuoh Academy, his presence cloaked by his manipulation of human minds, rendering him unnoticed by his former peers. However, his ex-friends greeted him with forced smiles, acknowledging his victory over Loki.

Rias, seemingly warm but with an undercurrent of concealed fury, questioned him, her curiosity veiled with concern, "Issei, I'm quite curious—what mischief did you and Rossweisse manage to find in Norway when you weren't busy dealing with Loki and his forces?"

Issei, feeling provocatively bold, responded, his tone steady and composed, "Inevitably, we shared a night, brought a child into this world, and I'll be departing at precisely 2 p.m. to accompany my daughter on her first day at a Valkyrie school in Asgard."

A stunned silence fell over the room; tension thickened the air. All eyes turned to Rias, her hair casting shadows over her eyes, her anger palpable. Suddenly, her power of destruction surged forth, obliterating everything and everyone in the room, except for Issei. Akeno, Kiba, Koneko, Asia, Xenovia, Gasper, and Irina were all wiped out in an instant.

Issei, the sole survivor, looked at Rias, a mocking grin playing on his lips, "Ah, succumbing to jealousy and anger, are we? Tell me, what's it like to be replaced?" he taunted, his words cutting through the heavy atmosphere.

"Issei, what have you done?!" Rias demanded, her voice low and aggressive, her eyes burning with rage.

At that moment, reality seemed to warp, and Issei found himself back in the room, everyone still alive and unharmed. Confusion clouded his thoughts, "Did I hallucinate that?" he wondered inwardly.

He glanced up and saw Dark-sei smirking evilly in the corner of the room. Dismissing the apparition, Issei decided to answer Rias's questions, his demeanour nonchalant, "We just trained. She had trouble fighting some of Loki's forces, so I trained her to combat them."

Rias, her smile masking a subtle menace, probed further, "Is that truly all?"

"Indeed," Issei replied, his gaze sharp, a silent warning in his eyes.

Sensing the tension, Kiba intervened, his calm voice aimed at diffusing the situation, "Issei, could you kindly enlighten us on the strategy you used to defeat Loki?"

"I beat him within an inch of his life," Issei answered casually, causing a shiver to run down the spines of those present, recalling his ruthless victory against Sairaorg.

Curiosity sparked in Irina's eyes as she inquired, "How strong has Rossweisse become after your training sessions?"

A confident smirk graced Issei's face, "Undoubtedly, she stands as the strongest in her peerage."

Shock and disbelief rippled through the room, particularly affecting Rias. Jealousy flared within her; she wished it had been her who trained with Issei, intensifying the turmoil in her heart.

X

As the days flowed in their usual routine, the school buzzed with activity until break time arrived, bringing Issei face to face with Ravel after almost a week of not seeing each other.

Concern etched in his voice, Issei inquired, "Did Rias do anything while I was gone?" His worry for her was palpable.

Ravel, her demeanour casual, replied, "Not really, why'd you ask?"