₀.₂

⋖∘ʿ⋆✧⋆ʾ∘⋗

⋖∘ʿ⋆✧⋆ʾ∘⋗

"I'm sorry, Melody. I have to go."

The slam of the door, the crushing reality of the situation tearing her heart into pieces, the world around her crumbling into something that she can no longer recognize. Voices trying to console her, reassure her, hands reaching out to her and steps stampeding in her mind as they chase after someone already gone. But she cannot feel anything, she cannot see anything, she cannot hear anything. The world has grown dark, cold, and mute, almost as numb and stoic as the heart that barely beats in her chest.

Those were the last words your sister heard from you before you left her behind. And now, as she stares at the cafés dinged old TV in the corner of the ceiling, a news broadcast covering a protest held in front of the HYBE building, those very same words play ever so loudly on the tracks of her mind.

Even now, months later, she is still able to remember that night. The way she screamed, begged for you to stay. The way she clung to you, hoping that if you saw how much she needed you, you would pause for a moment and see her. Focus on something outside of the world that you created around yourself. A world she was never enough to exist in. A world that shut everyone out, if only it meant you yourself was preserved.

But nothing she said, nothing she did was enough to make you stay. Just like before, you broke your promise. She needed you, and you walked away. Was it that easy?

To leave her behind?

At the harsh clatter of metal against metal, Melody flinches, her gaze turning from the television to a young woman who raises her brow as she settles into her seat, dispersing the large array of food and drink off the tray she just retrieved from the front counter. Melody can't help but roll her eyes at the look, rubbing her temple as she presses her body up against the back of her chair.

"Was that really necessary?"

"I thought so," Kallista smirks as she holds out a coffee cup Melody's way. Melody sighs before reaching out and retrieving the cup from her, and blowing on it softly.

Kallista is her sister's best friend. Or rather, that's what her title used to be before Yen left and shut out everyone she ever knew or somewhat trusted. Now, Melody is not sure what she is. Perhaps some would say she's her caretaker, a fill-in guardian in her sister's absence, but Melody would deny it with all her being. Kallista would say the two of them are friends, and Melody supposes there's some truth in that, but she herself considers their relationship to be nothing more than roommates. Acquaintances who found themselves in the same predicament when their one commonality abandoned them.

Kallista and Melody couldn't be any less alike.

Kallista is far too loud, too energetic, too outspoken, and unabashed to be anything but dissimilar. When she walks into a room, everyone finds their eyes drawn towards her. When she speaks, people want to listen and hear what she has to say. She is smart and beautiful, she knows when to be quiet and when to speak up for herself, and she is never afraid. Or rather, if she is, she never shows it. She is someone that people find themselves drawn to like moths to a flame.