𝟎𝟔. parting is such sweet sorrow

six.
( the lightning thief.  )
❛ parting is such sweet sorrow. ❜

"WHAT'S THIS I HEAR about my baby cousin leaving for a quest?" Colette paused from where she stood over her bed, her hand hovering over an extra shirt as her door was thrust open and a masculine shadow loomed in the doorway

"WHAT'S THIS I HEAR about my baby cousin leaving for a quest?" Colette paused from where she stood over her bed, her hand hovering over an extra shirt as her door was thrust open and a masculine shadow loomed in the doorway. she grumbled as two lanky arms wrapped around her dramatically followed by another pair of footsteps running into her cabin.

a disheveled mess of blonde hair suddenly formed in front of her eyes. "Is it true?" prodded a wide-eyed Will Solace as he clambered to sit on her bed, "are you actually going on a quest?"

"oh, I'm afraid it is, William." cried out Lee from where he practically suffocated the younger girl in his grip, his arm wrapped tightly around her shoulders as her lips drew into a tight-lipped line. "Collie's leaving us."

pushing her way out of Lee's grip, the brunette manoeuvred her way back to her bed. "you're so weird, Lee." she grumbled, "hey, don't touch that!" she snatched her bow out of Will's grip. "i don't need your little ten-year-old gremlin hands dirtying my stuff."

"you promised you wouldn't call me that!" Will scowled, kicking his legs off the side of her bed.

"you're right, Wilson. you're no gremlin, just a portable nightlight." Colette gave him a faint, teasing smile as she ruffled his blonde tuffs of hair. "and we love you for it." he looked up at her, almost sadly and Colette could tell that he didn't really want to believe the news that his older cousin would be gone for a time, unaware wether she'd even come back.

maybe it was biased of her to say, but in the quarrel of cabin seven kids she had for cousins, will was her favourite. well, maybe Will and Lee. though they bickered and teased each other, fought and defended, there was an unexplainable bond between the daughter of Artemis and the younger son of Apollo. a balance of warmth and tenderness matched with freshness and strength.

she'd been there when will had first arrived at camp, and she could still remember the traces of shyness as he followed her around to her lessons for a solid two weeks. he looked up to her—he still did. but it hadn't taken too long for Will to open up, and then, Lee had declared himself a member of their small duo.

the oldest of the three dropped onto a wooden chair opposite the bed, kicking his feet onto the desk and putting his arms behind his head.

"how long will you be gone for?" asked Will curiously. "will you be back by my birthday?" he scratched at the sun-kissed skin of his arm in thought. it wasn't that he wasn't happy for her, not at all, this is what she had wanted and deserved but it wouldn't make it any easier to be apart.