𝟎𝟑. when your folks run the universe

three.
( the lightning thief.  )
❛ when your folks run the universe. ❜

COLETTE SIGHED INTERNALLY

COLETTE SIGHED INTERNALLY. She was trying to be reasonable, truly, but every step beside Percy Jackson seemed to chip away at her optimism. She wasn't disappointed or annoyed, simply confused. Maybe a little annoyed, actually. The Minotaur slayer, the one she'd conjured in her mind, had appeared more collected and aware.

Percy Jackson was anything but aware—he knew nothing of the camp, knew nothing of half-bloods, and his shoelaces had unravelled and threatened to trip him over.

Now that he was awake and active, Colette was more able to dissect the boy's appearance. He wasn't very tall but not exactly small either, probably around her height give or take an inch, and his hair was tousled and unbrushed as it fell over his forehead and dared to hide his eyes, which were illuminated in perhaps the most vibrant shade of turquoise-y green that Colette had ever seen.

He seemed fearful of the world developing around him, but not cowardly. She pursed her lips considerately, glancing at him out of the corner of her eye as they walked soundlessly beside a scowling Annabeth. Colette was far too familiar with the look in the blonde's eye, the drowning suffocation of disappointment that threatened to pull the brunette under with her.

After a quiet moment, Colette turned to Percy with a wince, "you might wanna try harder than that next time, Jackson." She commented, her words slightly harsher than intended.

He whipped his head around to her so fast she thought he'd of gotten whiplash, and with a frown he blinked at her, "What?"

Colette glanced briefly to Annabeth, who was still watching distastefully. "Some people," annabeth and her, "--here have been relying on somebody—well, you for some time now and you're not really making the best first impression--"

Like the top of a kettle had burst in a watery heat of frustration, Percy's lips curled downwards and Colette would dare to say his eyes turned almost glassy. "What's your problem?" He snapped and Colette blinked in surprise, "All I know is, I kill some bull guy--"

"Don't talk like that!" Annabeth gaped at him as though he'd committed a crime. "You know how many kids at this camp wish they'd had your chance?"

"To get killed?"

"Colette let out an exasperated breath, "To fight the Minotaur, Moron! What'd you think we train for? swatting flies?" She shook her head at him. Her expression grew faintly bitter as she scowled at him.

Percy Jackson may've been special, but that didn't mean he wasn't the same as almost every other boy in the camp. Frustrated and angry.