Chapter Two

"What happened?" Sophie demanded, trying to ignore how sweaty her palms were turning, as if already nervous for what she was about to be told.

Mr. Forkle closed his eyes, as if not knowing where to start. They were all currently in Havenfield, the couches open, but no one sitting down, already tense. Marella and Maruca were in the corner filling a fidgety Edaline and Della with what had happened, while Fitz spoke to Alden about something quietly. Keefe and Sophie were facing Mr. Forkle as he struggled to get the words out.

"It's about the letter Lady Gisela left for us," Grady finally said. "She said something in it that... changes a lot of things."

"What's new?" Keefe muttered, raking a hand through his hair. He seemed nonchalant, but Sophie could feel him shaking next to her and she squeezed his hand in a desperate attempt to comfort him. He looked up and snorted. "Please don't tell me we're doing the sympathy thing again. What happened?"

Mr. Forkle swallowed. Ms. Foster, I think it's best I tell you this first.

Sophie narrowed her eyes. What exactly happened? And why can't you tell everyone else? Also, I thought you'd be angry about us leaving - not that I'm complaining.

She could practically hear him sigh. Oh, we will have a conversation about that later, but that's not what I wanted to talk about.

A sickly cool pool of dread gathered in her stomach and Keefe raised an eyebrow from beside her. "I can tell you guys are having a telepathic conversation, so what's it about?"

"I think it's best that me and Ms. Foster talk this through first," Mr. Forkle told him.

Keefe clenched his jaw, but before he could say anything, Sophie spoke up first. "I think Keefe should hear this too. It'll be easier than having to explain it again."

Plus, she telepathically told Mr. Forkle. I know this has something to do with him.

Mr. Forkle rubbed his temples. "Fine. But then only Miss Foster and Keefe. No one else."

"I should stay too!" Fitz protested. "I'm Sophie's cognate."

A part of Sophie stiffened at that, just a little bit. It still felt a bit awkward to be with Fitz, considering that she had kissed his best friend and he had seemed so hurt by it. Keefe glanced down at her as if knowing what she was thinking, what he probably did.

"That doesn't have anything to do with this," Mr. Forkle argued, sending brief relief through Sophie but Alden cut in.

"I think that's a great idea. Tiergan did say that their trust is growing stronger, and it's best that they hear the news together so as to not strain their cognatic bond," Alden told Mr. Forkle. Somewhere on the other side of the room, Marella snorted and muttered something about 'favoritism' to Maruca.

Mr. Forkle gritted his teeth, but he nodded reluctantly. "Fine. Now everyone else, please get out." He glanced at Edaline. "If you don't mind Mrs. Ruewen. I have a feeling Sophie will need some more... support."

Sophie felt her knees wobble as Sandor guided everyone else out of the room, leaving it silent. What was it that merited Edaline to be here for support? She felt Edaline come closer and place a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"I don't know where to start," Mr. Forkle finally admitted when it was only Sophie, Fitz, Keefe, Grady and Edaline in the room.

Keefe raised a hand, and when Mr. Forkle turned to him, he said, "What about the letter that Mother Dearest left?" Can we just read it?"

Mr. Forkle hesitated before reaching inside his tunic pocket and taking out a crumpled note with scrawled handwriting. Sophie took it, her hands trembling as she carefully smoothed the creases.

Black Swan, the note read. And Sophie and my son, as I am sure you are also here reading this. I am proposing an alliance. Let us go back to our roots.

At the bottom of the messy note was a small necklace taped there, with a crystal bead that reminded Sophie a bit too much about the time Keefe had joined the Neverseen as a spy.

"Alliance?" She finally croaked out. "What does that mean? And roots?"

She looked up and saw that Keefe's face had gotten pale and his clenched fist was white with pressure and trembling.

"We aren't seriously thinking about doing this, are we?" Keefe asked. "Because alliances never work out."

"Yeah, look what happened with Vespera," Fitz added, adding another quiver of fear through Sophie's chest as the image of Vespera's jagged form on the grass, streaked through with a bloody red. She could feel Keefe looking at her a bit worryingly, but she didn't look at him.

Yes, Vespera had never truly been on their side and she had helped in injuring so many of Sophie's friends. Her marks will always be on Biana but at the same time, it was hard to process that she was... gone.

"What does she mean by roots?" Sophie asked quietly, her voice echoing a bit in the empty room.

Mr. Forkle fidgeted with his hands. "I'm sure you all remember that the Black Swan was here for a long time before me and my brother joined?" Sophie flinched at the mention of the late Mr. Forkle, but nodded. "Well, we don't want to confirm anything, but it sounds like Lady Gisela is implying that the Neverseen and the Black Swan used to be one group." He paused, letting them absorb the information. "Keep in mind that this isn't factual and simply a hunch."

"Then why tell us?' Fitz asked while Keefe just stared in shock.

Mr. Forkle sighed. "I admit that we haven't been the best at sharing information, but its time to change that. It seems as though we're starting to forget that our world is on the brink of changing, for either the better or for the worse, and if there would ever be the perfect timing to hand it over, this is it."

"What does that mean?' Sophie asked, her heart thrumming so hard she was surprised no one else could hear it. Her blood was pounding in her ears, so she barely heard what Mr. Forkle said next.

"We're inviting you and your friends to join the Collective."