Chapter 6: The Lost Cub

Start from the beginning

Mustering all the energy his arms could give, Galen threw the next Pitcher melon at Nicole. As it came towards her, she took a swing. But she missed the fruit and lost her grip on the spear.

"Ah, whiffed it," she said, before gasping when seeing the spear going straight for Galen. "Galen!"

"Huh?"

"Watch out!" Derek ran as fast as he could and tackled Galen to the ground, just in the nick of time. The spear flew over them and into the forest, hitting a tree. The trio stared in the direction it flew off, with Galen standing on Derek's shoulders. A moment later, his hat fell apart. Having been cut sliced in two halves. Revealing that Galen had reddish hair.

"Wanna go again?" he asked the two humans.

"Yeeeaaahhh!" Nicole and Derek cheered.

"Wait, your hair," Nicole asked, pointing at Galen's hair.

...

Soon the three entered into the forest to look for Derek's spear. While they were walking, Derek felt slight discomfort and pain in his ribs, and he placed his hand over where it was hurting the most. Nicole saw this and became concerned, knowing there was a bruise there. Out of the two of them, he was getting hurt the most, and the Titanophant attack was one of the worse fights they've been in. How Derek was still alive after what the Matriarch did was a mystery. How they were alive at all was an even bigger one.

Walking closer to him, she looked at him with worry. "Hey, are you okay, Derek?" She asked.

Derek quickly took his hand away from where he had it and waved it at her. "I'll be fine, Nicole, really. Just a little sore, that's all."

Nicole smiled in relief as the three ventured deeper into the jungle. After walking through a large bush, she saw the spear. "Oh, there it is," she said, pointing to it as the weapon was lodged in a tree.

Derek walked over and yanked out of the tree. But just as he was about to walk back, he heard what sounded like a meow. "You guys hear that?" He asked.

"Hear what?" Galen asked as he and Nicole joined him. Derek held up his hand, silencing them as they listened for the sound again. Another meow echoed throughout the jungle.

"Am I the only one that's hearing a cat?" asked Derek.

"Sounds like it's in trouble!" Nicole said before running off in the direction of the meowing. Derek and Galen glanced at one another before running after her. The trio ran until they came to a clearing and saw the source of the sound in front of them.

They gasped in shock when they saw twelve Falconflies flying around a small creature stuck in the mud. The meowing was being made by the creature, as it struggled to escape while the wasps stung the ground around it.

The Falconfly is the size of a small bird of prey such as a kestrel, and has a very powerful set of jaws. Its forelimbs have small hooks which allow it to grab prey, whilst its hindlimbs have very sharp, lance-like tips which can be used to impale or stab prey. Like other wasps, it also has a venomous sting.

 Like other wasps, it also has a venomous sting