Chapter 40 - Rumors

Começar do início

 "Your first conclusion was correct. Nothing happened."

 "Of course, Your Grace."

 ...

 She totally didn't believe me.

 Hah...

 "Continue."

 Trying to explain it would only make it worse.

 "Well, the matter of the clothes... Would you mind it terribly if I didn't speak of that, Your Grace?"

 "Why?"

 "Those rumors are..."

 A blush crept up her neck as she averted her eyes.

 ...

 I think I know why now.

 "Alright. Let's leave that aside."

 "Thank you, Your Grace. As for the last rumors, the ones about the two of you arguing, from your lack of desk, Your Grace, I will have to assume that at least some of it is true."

 ...

 I can't really say anything to that.

 I can't tell her that Neuvillette argued with Lady Furina and not with me, now can I?

 Her presence isn't supposed to be known.

 Phew!

 "Alright, Amalie. If that's everything-"

 "We received word that there is a criminal the people upstairs would prefer you escorted yourself, Your Grace."

  "Oh?"

 Well, that's interesting.

 I could feel Neuvillette's gaze piercing into my skin from the side.

 Alright, alright.

 I'll explain it to you later.

 "Thank you, Amalie. I'll take care of the matter as soon as possible."

 She said goodbye to both Neuvillette and me before leaving and I was left behind with the frowning dragon.

 "There is no such criminal." He stated bluntly.

 "No, there is not."

 "A code of some sort, I assume."

 "Quite on point as always, Chief Justice."

 "Did something happen?" He asked, a hint of worry creeping into his tone.

 "I'm not sure. Something is going on on the surface, but I don't know what exactly though. I'll just have to go and take a look."

 "If you are going to the surface then I-"

 "Have no reason to come with, less you wish to argue with Lady Furina some more."

 He frowned but seemed to eventually give up on the idea of coming along.

 Sigh...

 "Here, take this."

 I threw something at him and he was left somewhat stunned.

 "This..."

 "A token. It gives you the right to order around anyone in the fortress. I doubt you will need it, but there is no reason for you not to have it."

He blinked, not uttering a single word.

 Is there something wrong?

 "Neuvillette-"