Keep this between us

Set before S1
JJ + Sarah (+Luke)

••••••

"Dad-"

JJ froze where he stood on the beach, in his swim shorts, surfboard under his arm, dripping wet and now with wide eyes, staring at Luke, who looked anything but happy.

"I've been looking for you." He spat.

JJ swallowed hard. "Er," He choked, before clearing his throat and trying to pull himself together a little. "Thought I'd go for a surf after school." He explained slowly. "What are you doing down here anyway?"

Luke glared at his son. "You owe me money and I've been waiting for a week." He replied, hands on hips, staring hard at JJ.

JJ's heart skipped a beat.

Most of his wages from his job always went to Luke, his Dad saying that he had to chip in with rent money or food money or literally help pay off any other bills, it sucked, it really sucked, but JJ would rather that than get his ass beaten because he refused.

But this time was different, this time he didn't have enough, not as much as he usually had. He'd actually had to use his money this time, to buy some clothes, considering a bunch of his shirts had holes in them.

"Look Dad," JJ murmured. "I can give you what I have, but - but it's not as much as usual."

"What you mean its not as much as usual?" Luke hissed, taking a step forward.

It took JJ all he had to not move backwards, and he took a deep breath to steady himself. "I had to buy some clothes and stuff," He told him. "But I'll pick up an extra shift next week to make up for it."

This just made Luke angrier. "Those bills have to be paid by the weekend and now I don't have enough money to do that because you decided to go shopping?" He growled. "What's wrong with your old clothes?"

JJ bit back a sarcastic response, and only swallowed hard, unsure where this was going, but he could take a guess.

"I don't think you quite understand do you." Luke snapped, walking right up to his son and jabbing his finger at his chest. "Nothing in this world is free Jay, you owe me money, and you know what happens when I don't get my money?"

JJ tried to make a sudden run for it, but was quickly tripped up by Luke, sending him flying to the floor, where he hit the ground with a smack, his surfboard hitting him on the forehead on the way down.

He groaned quietly, trying to pull himself to his feet, but a swift kick to the stomach kept him down.

He coughed harshly, squeezing his eyes shut to keep the sand out as his arm instinctively wrapped around his middle.

"You better - find some way - of making that money by Saturday." Luke spat, landing a kick anywhere he could with each pause in his sentence. "Or I swear - there will be hell - to pay."

A kick to the nose caused blood to instantly coat his face, and one more to his chest left him almost unable to breathe, making him choke slightly.

"Hey!"

This however made him jump, and he forced his eyes open to see who had shouted.

"Get away from him right now or I swear I'll call the police!"

JJ frowned deeply.

Was that...

Sarah Cameron?

Luke stared at the blonde girl, who did indeed have her phone in her hand, all ready to dial the number if she had to.