MY TRUE SELF

★★★
"And as I sleep on the other side of the country, I wonder how it feels to be safe in the palm of your hands"

𝐃𝐀𝐑𝐁𝐘 𝐏𝐎𝐕

I let out a sigh as I stepped into the joint, flashing strobes of lights filled the air as my old friend Kayla squeezed me. "We're gonna have so much fun!" She smiled and I nodded; unconvinced.

"Kay . I told you I'm skint. I can't afford to have drinks on a Friday night." I state and she rolls her eyes, "we will find a fit bar man and it will be an on the house kinda night my sweet." She states.

I sigh shaking my head and walking out of the club. She just graduated and I feel awful for not affording to to celebrate with her and her rich uni friends but I can't put myself in a financially bad position just to not remember what I spent my life savings on in the morning.

I feel a single tear trail down my cheek as I walk away, I have to drop the flowers that Denise chose at the venue in the morning and set it up.

I walk down the pavement of the hectic streets in Manchester in my big fur coat and heels, feeling pain as I walk down the cobblestone.

"Dabria?" A voice called causing me to freeze in shock. "Dabria, my beloved."

"How do you know that's my name?" I ask turning to a man and fear trembles through my body as I see his face.

"My Dabria..." he replied; my ex boyfriend kai; I never broke up with him, after he touched me with no permission I packed up the next morning and left.

Now he will be angry, I'm alone and on a street in the middle of an alleyway. "Whatever your going to do to me. Touch me, rape me, kidnap me please don't Kai..." I stutter in fear as he lets out a grumble and a laugh.

"Do you know how fucking embarrassing it was to tell my family you left me?" He mentioned growing angry by the second. "Your drunk like always." I mention, that's the reason I left him last month.

"Your drunk again! Just like you fucking always are!" I shout to his face; regretting it as he looked at me in disgust.

"Move you stupid bitch or I will fuck your face and your body up." He whispers and I feel the blood in my veins turn cold as he pins me against the brick wall.

"Hey! What's going on out here?" I turn and see 2 men stood at the end of the alleyway. Kai instantly let's go of the grasp on my neck as one of the men runs after him and the other comforts me.

"Hey we work at the restaurant down the street, we were doing the trash, come with us we can get you a water and an Uber yeah?" The blonde haired man comforts as I choke on my tears that are now falling again.

"t-thank you" I let out a hum as he lifts me to my feet, supporting me to the restaurant.

We arrive at the restaurant and the boys give me a water and call me a taxi, it soon arrives and I thank them once again before getting in it and leaving.

Having such a crazy ex is scary, as a woman living alone but I feel remorse when i see him. He used to be perfect, I was Dabria and he was kylo, those were our nicknames for each-other before he went wild of his medication after a biking accident. Ever since he turned to alcohol he wasn't himself. It wasn't his fault he got addicted, that's someone's son, brother, uncle and maybe even father considering how many times he cheated. But at the end of the day, all o felt was guilt for leaving him.

He came home from the bar one night, I was tired and sick in bed. He demanded my body and I forbade him. I said no and slapped him; he was being immature. He didn't take it well and I ran. I spent an entire 2 days walking to my mothers long distance home and now he's found me, all the bad memories are flooding back like the fear struck into my body.