Chapter 38 - Draconic Instincts

Start from the beginning

 "I did not."

 I couldn't possibly have.

 I must have been hallucinating.

 "Did you just growl?"

 "No."

 Definitely not.

 I would have no reason to.

 "You must have misunderstood something, Lady Furina."

 "Are you saying that my hearing is so bad that I misheard something from a 1-meter distance?"

 I couldn't answer that.

 I'm not answering that question.

 "Neuvillette-"

 "No."

 "Are you not going to acknowledge it?"

 "There is absolutely nothing to acknowledge."

 "You know that you gave one of your special recording devices to the Duke, right?"

 I couldn't help but flinch.

 I turned to her, and sure enough, she was holding the said device in her hand. A triumphant smirk graced her face.

 That-

 No matter.

 I can just-

 "You aren't thinking of destroying it, are you?"

 ...

 "You couldn't possibly. After all, what's on here will be evidence in a trial." She smiled.

 For Teyvat's sake!

 "Furina..."

 "Shall I rewind the recording?"

 "Furina-"

 "What? Since you say nothing happened, there is nothing for you to fear, right?"

 The next second I saw her finger move and without much thinking, took the sphere out of her hands, holding it as far away from her as possible.

 The problem with that action was that-

 "Oh? I did indeed need this back. Thank you." A familiar voice sounded from behind me.

 I froze in place as if struck by lightning, and before I could process what was happening, the device vanished from my hand.

 No! Not that!

 I watched as Wiothesely walked away with the sphere and placed it back in its place.

 Phew.

 As long as he doesn't look at it anytime soon, I can find time to erase it.

 Not that there is anything in particular to erase.

 Just Furina speaking nonsense about me finding a mate.

 Hmm?

 Were there always this many stickers on his clothes?

 No, I don't think so.

 I looked over to Sigewinne, the most likely suspect behind this change, but...

 She was pouting.

 "Sigewinne? Is everything alright, dear?"

 I knelt down in front of her, drawing her into my arms.

 "I- That-"

 She cast a glance at Wriothesely before mumbling:

 "The Duke broke my favorite cup."

 That's a lie.

 "Hey! I thought we had a deal here! Neuvillette, that's not true! I didn't break anything!" He protested.

 I'm aware.

 It might not be to others, but it's quite clear to me that Sigewinne is lying.

 But-

 Sigh...

 "It would be best if you apologized if you have yet to do so, Your Grace. Replace the broken cup as well."

 I could see as he became utterly baffled. It wasn't just him either. Furina too was looking as if she had seen a ghost.

 "Unbelievable..." She muttered.

 This is exactly what I had warned her about.

 Even though I know that Sigewinne is lying, I couldn't give Wriothesely the right here.

 My apologies, but my child is more important.

 "Hey, Neuvillette! You can't be serious! She's obviously lying!" Furina's voice sounded in my mind.

 "I'm aware."

 "Then-"

 "She's my daughter."

 And that was the end of that conversation.

 I completely shut Furina out and she could only fume to herself in frustration.

 Though, I will have to talk this over with Sigewinne later.

 Lying isn't a good habit.

 "Neuvillette-" Wriothesely started as well.

 "I know."

 He stiffened and so did Sigewinne.

 "If you know-"

 "You are currently far lower on my list of priorities, Your Grace, so please apologize while I'm still speaking nicely."

 If he was utterly baffled before, now he looked like he had just seen the sky collapse.

 Still, I expected an apologise.

 After all, cup or not, something made Sigewinne sad and since she's taking such a roundabout way to blame him, the chances of that something being Wriothesely are rather high.

 And just like that, any sense of guilt I had vanished.

 I even ignored the triumphant smirk Sigewinne flashed Wriothesely.