Chapter 37 - Things a melusine can see

Start from the beginning

 The problem was...

 She shouted this when we were already outside my office.

 Archons!

 After that little stunt with Neuvillette, if Sigewinne goes around shouting things like these....

 "Sigewinne, please-"

 "I'm not listening to some pervert!"

 Gods!

 I don't even want to know what rumors will be circulating by tomorrow!

 As such, amidst of the melusine's curses, I was dragged to the infirmary and for the first time, Sigewinne actually shut the door.

 "Is that really necessary?"

 "Can't have you trying to escape." She mumbled and I wasn't sure she meant to say that aloud.

 Me?

 Escape?

 Just what are you planning?

 "Do you know what Dad asked me to do?" She asked as she sat down, trying to compose herself.

 "No."

 I can't read minds, of course I don't.

 "No? Not even the slightest idea?"

 "None."

 But I'm starting to worry.

 "He asked me to give you a more detailed rundown on dragon anatomy, instincts, and the like."

 Cough!

 I nearly choked on my own spit.

 "Excuse me?"

 "You know, instinctual behavior that humans might not understand, certain habits, parts of a dragon's body you should not touch under any circumstance."

 So that's what this is about.

 Did we not agree not to speak of it ever again?

 And...

 "Didn't he just tell you it was an accident?"

 "Dad, I believe. You, not so much. Who knows what goes on in that head of yours." She accused.

 This...

 This is a completely unfounded accusation!

 "So, how did you end up touching his horns in the first place?"

 "He asked me to pet him on the head."

 "What?"

 Rather than the expected shock, Sigewinne's eyes were filled with doubt and suspicion.

 "You don't believe me." I pointed out.

 "Of course I don't."

 "Why?"

 Just why is it that from the very beginning, I was deemed an untrustworthy pervert and no matter what I do, I don't seem to be able to rid myself of that title?

 "Melusines can see far more than humans can, Your Grace. Emotions are one such example. The fact that you like him is pretty much written on your face."

 I flinched.

 "Another such thing, one that I abhor to have to witness, is..."

 "Is?"

 Damn it!

 Why did I even ask?

 I probably don't want to know.

 "Arousal, Your Grace."

 "Huh?"

 Wait.

 Does that mean-

 "Every single melusine in that house did their damn best not to beat you to death every time you were 'oh so shiny'."

 Her tone was filled with contempt and this time I really couldn't blame her.

 Oh, gods! What have I done?!

 They're just children...

 "I'm sorry! I-"

 Wait.

 "What about Neuvillette?"

 "Is that really the first thing that popped into your mind?! Tsk! And you wonder why I call you a pervert."

 Ouch.

 But still, since it's already out there...

 "So? What about Neuvillette?"

 "Not the faintest idea." She shrugged her shoulders.

 "Didn't you just say-"

 "Melusines's sight is largely influenced by elemental energy. That and some other factors light up and reveal details otherwise invisible to the human eye. Now, Dad is a dragon, and not just any dragon but one of the Seven Sovereigns, mind you. He's pretty much a walking lightbulb. The only thing we melusines can discern with him are major fluctuations of that light. So unless he- What the hell are you thinking about right now?!" She suddenly snapped.

 "What?"

 "Get that rubbish out of your head right this instant!"

 "This time I really didn't-"

 "I just told you I can see it and you still- Argh! you stupid pervert!"

 But I really didn't do anything this time!

 I was just wondering just how turned on-

 Oh.

 Right, that might have-

 "Duke Wriothesely!" 

 Oops...

 I'll stop now.

 But...

 "You started this one." I pointed out.

 "I was giving you an explanation! Explanation! How was I supposed to think that your mind would wander in such directions?!" 

 "Don't you call me a pervert?"

 "You- You- I'll tell on you to Dad!"

 Oh, now this one...

 "I'm curious, what exactly will you tell him?"

 It works when I threaten to tell on Neuvillette to Sigewinne, but this way it's...

 It doesn't really work, now does it?

 "Ugh! I- I- I'm gonna tell him that you broke my favorite cup!"

 "What?"

 Cup?

 What cup?

 "Are you planning on lying to him?"

 "Hmph!"

 "You know that Neuvillette is not so easily fooled, right?"

 "Let's see who he'll believe, you or me!"

 As if the Chief Justice is so easily-

 Wait!

 No!

 That's not fair!

 Remembering just how easily he gets flustered by a simple call of Dad-

 Oh oh!

 I'm totally screwed, aren't I?

 "Hey, Sigewinne-"

 "Hmph!"

 "Sigewinne-"

 "Hmph!"

 Ah, my poor life!