⠀⠀⠀第12章

Start from the beginning

"He should have died here." Itadori Yūji turns his head to the ghostly woman before him. A spiteful tone ever always out of her mouth whenever she speaks of Ryōmen Sukuna. "He should have died here. It would have saved all of us a lot of suffering."

"Good evening, 'Kuna." Sasaki Chiyo spoke into the quiet room as she arrives one night in early autumn. The stench of burning firewood evident on her kimono as she takes her usual place beside him. "You are still resting I see, yet I've come bearing news."

Yūji gazes at her with concern for her eyes were filled to the brim with tears — on the verge of collapse as a heartbroken expression paints her pretty face. "Justice has been served, 'Kuna. Taku-senchou has been executed for treason. I apologize if this is the only thing we can do for you. I am aware that it cannot erase the hurt you've endured. I'm sorry... I'm truly sorry..." And with that, she weeps, tears of sincerity & guilt pours.

Inevitably did the leaves on the other end of the windows transcended from green to brown. Autumn slowly swallows the mountains & the rolling hills of Hida as the boy of the hounds lay asleep. Physicians & maids were his most frequent guests — though despite the boy's condition, still they do their work with frowns & hostility. A saddening thought for they have no compassion for a boy like him. Sasaki Ryūtaro, the master of the estate visited once or twice — only to stand by the door's frame as he observe healed wounds. A time comes when he enters with a trident in hand. "A thank you." He whispers, bowing his head to the unconscious boy before leaving the weapon.

Then, on a busy morning by the 12th day of his slumber, Sasaki Chiyo enters his quarters once again. Seeming exhausted from a long journey home, excitedly did she take the usual place by Sukuna's side. "'Kuna," The girl calls softly, "Father & I have just arrived from Takayama. Finally, they have agreed that a marriage between our families would not be in our best interest. Isn't that great?" A bittersweet smile curves her lips as she reaches for his hand — only to stop midway for guilt paralyzes her once again. "Isn't that great, 'Kuna?" She repeats, a voice more silent this time. "We are to postpone my marriage until a better suitor comes along."

Silence follows. A realization dawns on her pretty face. "Another suitor..." She whispers, observing him from head to toe. Her retainer tortured half to death for the mere reason of protecting his master. "It's unfair..." She weeps, staring at an almost lifeless body. A cry filled with resentment echoing the emptiness of the quarters.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Nevertheless, morn will come. As it always had. The fall sun dissolves the cold left by the night, the song of the leaves & birds cleanses whatever hurt echoed inside those four walls, and once again, a peculiar boy wakes.

"Took you quite a while, huh boy?" A familiar voice was the first to greet him. The stern tone of an old man that he has already memorized from the amount of scoldings he has heard from him. "You have caused our lady great sadness, you know? Tsk. To think she'd waste her tears on you."

Yet, Sukuna cockily smiles nonetheless. "Glad I meant so much to you, Jukai-san." He retorts as the elder change his bandages for the morning. Sukuna recalls, will always remember rather, how this is the gentlest anyone has ever touched him (aside from the young lady, ofcouse). No motives, no hostility — just an old grumpy servant fixing his wounds with sincerity and worry. It has been a long time since he felt such sincerity — to be gazed upon not as a monster, not as a sorcerer, but as a mere child. With violence & hate as his mundanity, Sukuna can admit he has forgotten that he is one. The pain somehow subsides with that thought.