the accidental reunion

I finished chewing my very last bite of food and softly placed my fork on the plate as i turned my gaze towards the big, inviting window right next to me.
I started observing the tiny little people waddling around at the night beach, in their own world, living their own little lives and having their own little, unimportant conversations. I specifically had my attention focused on an elder pair walking hand in hand along the edge of the waters. They looked so in love, there, looking into each other's eyes and reliving old memories of a life-long relationship.
I envied them deeply. To have someone you know for sure loves you truly and doesn't just view you as a fuck-and-go ticket. That's the kind of love you see in marriages that last. I sighed deeply, peering over all the couples i could find down there and envy each and every one of their healthy, happy, lovey dovey-

"Are you alright?" A deep voice concerned from the other end of the table.
I jolted slightly at his unexpected words.
"Wha- oh yea, i'm fine, i just got a bit lost in thought." I awkwardly chuckled away my deep fascination and fixed my hair.  I refused to look up at him out of embarrassment.

"You just looked so... concentrated. Is there something on your mind?" He asked gently. His concern quickly changed my mind and i looked straight at him, admired him even. But surprisingly, he was inspecting the little people like i was before. He was completely emerged with the view, carefully spying on them like watching the water droplets roll down the car window. He saw what i saw. I could see it in his eyes. The jealousy.

I wet my lips and spoke, "i was just thinking how i wish i had a life like that," he turned his head to me in interest immediately. "Y'know with a partner that loves you for your personality and charm. That goes on late night beach walks with you. I want that other half. That, y'know really SEES you. Sorry, that probably doesn't make any sense." My eyes met his. He was staring, mesmerized in every detail of me, gently scanning my expression for a sign of mockery or sarcasm, but there was none. That stupid little smirk appeared again.

"Yea, no i know exactly what you mean. That's mostly why i come here. I like watching them."
He broke away from his soft look, "Shit, that sounds super creepy. That wasn't my intention."

I chuckled. He shifted in his seat nervously. It was actually kind of adorable seeing him so embarrassed. "Nono, it's fine, i do it too." I tried so hard to hide my grin.
He relaxed in a hidden huff of laughter and smiled at me.
"Thank god." He mumbled.

I suddenly started laughing. Loudly. It just struck me what a weird thing it was to bond over. I covered my laugh with my hand as i threw my head back. His confused little face only made it funnier to me.
"What?" He chuckled softly, watching me carefully.

"Nothing." I controlled my laughter and took a sip of the wine. The dim lights around us really complimented the shade of his skin.
There was a small silence before he asked me.

"Why do you work here?"
I gulped down the wine and put the glass down, my eyebrows colliding at his random question. "It's good money. And my best friend Sally has been working here for years. She got me in cause i got fired from my last job."
"But you're not happy.(?)"
I thought for a second. Then i huffed a small chuckle again. "No, it's actually a pretty shitty job."
"And your boss is a dick. No offense."

The way i was so unprepared for those words coming out of his mouth made me laugh again. "True."

Then something suddenly hit me. An episode from a couple weeks ago. "Wait wait, that reminds me of... HOLY SHIT THAT WAS YOU!" The words shot out of me like a bullet and i quickly covered my mouth. My mind was running too fast to pay attention to the looks i was given.

"You're the note guy! Holy fucking shit! Pardon my language!" I rambled, leaning over the table. He had no clue what i was waffling about, but i kept looking at him with that stupid excited expression i had.
"...sorry?" His perfect eyebrow raised itself slightly.

I sat up in my chair and started explaining with expressive hand movements. "A couple weeks ago, there was this guy. Supposedly, a regular. Super rich and well-dressed and shit and Camille, my boss she wanted to wait him so badly that she switched with me. And Camille like NEVER waits tables cause she's too busy, right? But she wanted to hook up with him and apparently waits him every time he comes in. And so she walks up to the guy and Sally, my best friend, is standing at the table next to them, hears her try to flirt with him and act up. Something about her offering him a different kind of payment if you know what I mean." I watched him slowly catch on to the situation. "He then gets offended, (as he should) and writes a note next to his tip that says "next time i come here, i want to pick my own waitress. Otherwise you can expect this restaurant to close very soon." Or something like that. We have that note in a pin on the board over our lunch table! It's like a big joke at our workplace. Don't tell Camille i told you this though, she hates me and the joke more than anything already. But that was you right?"

He slowly nodded. "She's been trying to get with me for a long while now. She's always trying to make smalltalk whenever she returns with my food. One time she even sat down across from me and i politely had to ask her to let me eat in peace."
I snorted. "No way. I swear she's obsessed with you. I don't blame her though."

He raised his head slowly, his dimples appearing on each side of his playful smirk. "No?"
I melted in the pools of his warm eyes and rested my chin in my right palm. "No. I mean you're a handsome, respected, young man, i get it. Plus uhm.." i leaned in closer and whispered loudly to him. "-She's kind of a gold-digger."
"I figured." He agreed and lifted the wine bottle to fill his glass. My instincts launched me out of my seat. "Let me do it for you." I placed a hand on the bottle.

He looked up at me, puzzled. For a second we both forgot our roles in this restaurant-play. "You don't have to wait me tonight, you're my date." He softly removed it from my hand and i awkwardly stood there, like i just got rejected by my crush and watched him pour his drink, then mine.
"I should go check if our dessert is done." I spoke my way out of it and turned around, my head swirling and twisting around this whole weird situation i got myself into. "Don't be too long." He demanded and i was gone.