Chapter 4 - Threshhold of Shadows

Start from the beginning

______

    As the sun climbed higher in the sky, The Company raced across the vast, empty grasslands, their horses carrying them swiftly and efficiently. Riding allowed them to cover more ground, ensuring they wouldn't be as weary by day's end.

The towering silhouette of Mirkwood Forest loomed ahead, its presence growing more prominent with each passing moment

The towering silhouette of Mirkwood Forest loomed ahead, its presence growing more prominent with each passing moment. The Company slowed their pace, approaching the forest's edge with caution.
They were met with a sight that sent shivers down their spines: gnarled trunks, twisted branches, and dark leaves adorned with creeping ivy. Anaynah's eyes caught sight of the decaying remnants of an ancient Elven arch, standing as a sombre sentinel at the forest's threshold. It marked the entrance to a tunnel formed by massive trees, entwined and suffocated by blackened foliage.

    "The Elven Gate. Here lies our path through Mirkwood," Gandalf declared, turning to face the Company, their gazes fixed on the foreboding woods.

    "No sign of the Orcs. We have on our side," Dwalin spoke with a glimmer of hope.

"Luck or a big, black bear," Anaynah whispered to herself, her eyes meeting Beorn's animal form perched upon a ridge, his gaze locked with theirs.

    "Set the ponies loose, let them return to their master," The Wizard instructed as he followed Anaynah's gaze.

    Anaynah slid off her horse, stroking the stallion's mane as she admired his beauty and his service.

    "Hannon le, mellon non [Thank you, my friend]," With a final pat of his muzzle, she let go of the reins and nudged him forward in the direction from where they came. After a deep breath, she turned back to face the forest floor, taking a few steps forward to stand by Bilbo's side.

    "This forest feels... sick. like a disease lies upon it," The Hobbit commented nervously as he observed the dark wood before them, "Is there no way around it?"

    "Not unless we go 200 miles north, or twice that distance, south..." Gandalf spoke grimly as he followed Bilbo's gaze. Anaynah watched Gandalf as something caught his eye, now making his way to a dark statue covered in twigs and vines.

 Anaynah watched Gandalf as something caught his eye, now making his way to a dark statue covered in twigs and vines