twelve

my phone doesn't stop going off. without looking, i know anna has to be the culprit of most of the vibrations. i groan and roll over and see it is barely 6am, and see her name across my phone.

"hello?" i speak groggily into my side. 

"THAT IS ALL YOU HAVE TO SAY IS HELLO?" she basically screeches out. i roll my eyes and sit up. knowing this conversation will be the potential death of me.

"if this is about the instagram post, it is not that deep." i sigh and get out of the bed and head out to the balcony, with my pack of cigarettes. 

"oh, no i am calling about you smoking," she says with a clear tone of sarcasm, "obviously this is about the post don't be stupid cora! i need every detail, now." she demands, and i can picture her crossing her arms and giving me a specific stare till i spill my guts.

i give her the boring information, leaving out me helping matty in his room a while back. she's obviously disappointed that nothing crazy happened, i apologized for not making her fantasies a reality and we laugh and have normal conversations for a while. we eventually come to a natural end and hang up. i put out my half smoked cigarette and head back in my room. 

i decide to get myself together and plan on walking down to get a coffee at the shop down the way that i noticed on my walk last night. i hop in the shower, and go through my routine. i decide against any makeup, and decide to just cover my dark circles with my sunglasses. i tie my hair up in a still wet pony tail, and i throw on a simple pair of leggings and one of the hoodies from the merch table that jamie made me work a few nights if they were low on staff. i put my converse on and head out the door. 

on the elevator ride down, i felt my phone vibrate.

George Daniel

"cora! come get coffee with me! i am in the lobby. xx"

i smile down at my phone and before i can respond, the elevator doors open and i am met with george sitting on one of the couches in the lobby. he is nose deep in his phone so he doesn't realize i am in front of him until i clear my throat. he jumps at the noise and i laugh quietly.

"jesus cora, don't do that to me! i am a fragile boy." he jokes as he stands up and interlocks his arm with mine. we head out the door and begin the short walk to the coffee shop. we have normal small talk on the way, but i can tell he wants to ask me more. i begin dreading the conversation, even though i hadn't done anything wrong. there was just a pit in my stomach.

we finally arrive and we walk straight up to the counter and order, and george insists on paying. i roll my eyes, and find us a nice table by the window, overlooking the street and the passing people. sitting here reminds me of my first day in the office, being bombarded by matty joining my table and just being, well, matty. i smile at the memory and see george walking towards me with our drinks.

"a cappuccino for me," he says as he sits down his cup, "and a triple shot iced latte for you." he says as he hands me mine. i nod in appreciation and take a sip immediately, humming at the warmth. 

"long night?" he asks as he sits down and settles in. i shrug, and take another sip.

"just couldn't sleep, think i am still adjusting to the time difference here." i speak casually, trying to avoid the obvious elephant in the room. he just nods and sips his drink. he looks out the window and sighs, and i already know what is about to happen.

"cora.. i just want you to be careful.." he says quietly, not looking at me. i knit my eyebrows together and turn my head. before i could ask, he continues.

"matty has been my best mate for ages, and i love the dickhead. but i also know him, almost better than anyone else. i just want you to be happy, and not get mixed up in him. he isn't the dating type or-" i cut him off.