21 - words and games

Wednesday, December 28th

For the majority of this winter break, Carson and I haven't been separated for more than thirty minutes. It may sound a bit cringe considering how new of a couple we are, however, she's practically been living in my apartment since even before we got together.

As of right now, I'm reading a book on my bed with Carson beside me. She's been surprisingly quiet and careful not to disturb me. I can feel her eyes situated on me, studying me almost as if I'm a statue. But I know that her attention span can only last for so long.

"I have an idea." She suddenly sits up, snatching the book out of my hand. I say nothing at first and just glare. "Let's have a staring contest. Best of three," she proposes.

I sit up as well, reaching for my book. "Give me my book back."

"Come on, please." She puts it behind her back. "I like watching you read and all, but I'm bored."

"Will you give me my book back if I do?" I've asked her questions similar to this before, except this time, I'm not telling her to shut up.

"Yes, I'll give you your book back." She rolls her eyes. "Nerd."

Carson carefully moves the book from behind her to the nightstand, far away from me. I eye it the whole time, fighting back the urge to just take it back. But I don't mind entertaining her for now.

"One more thing," she starts, facing me again. "The loser has to do whatever the winner wants."

"Deal," I say, determined to win my book back.

"Ready?" she asks.

I give her a curt nod, keeping my face relaxed. Right off the bat, Carson stares at me with a siren-like gaze. It's the same look that gets me to kneel down for her, whenever she wants me to. I blink almost immediately and look away.

When I glance at her again, she has a smug look on her face. "I might as well say I win now if it's going to be that easy."

"Shut up," I straighten myself out. "It's only the first round."

She giggles. "Okay, ready?" I take a deep breath to compose myself, and I fidget slightly with the ring on my finger.

"Ready," she pauses, waiting for my eyes to be locked on hers. "Go."

I try my best to put on a blank expression, and I do nothing but stare directly at her, attempting to focus. I can tell that Carson has started to become overwhelmed as she tries to scan my face. Her eyes dart back and forth.

It goes on for a long time until I see her look down at my lips, which curl into a slight grin. Her cheeks flush pink, and she covers her face with her forearm.

My win.

"Damnit," she curses, and it's muffled behind her arm.

"Not so easy, is it?" I taunt.