15 - wrong number

Monday, November 28th

The day after a big game is always exciting, especially if our university's team won. However, something about today feels a bit off.

As Eden and I make our way through the front doors, all eyes seem to be on me. I look down at my clothes, wondering if I'm wearing anything unusual again. The closer we get to our normal meeting spot with Aspen, I see groups of people on their phones, going crazy over what they see on their screens.

All of a sudden, Aspen comes rushing over, just before we get to the lounge. "Carson! Is Killian okay?!"

"What do you mean?" I repulse back a little. "Did something happen?" With those words, her jaw pops open, surprised that I know nothing.

"He beat the shit out of Nick last night."

My eyes widen, and I glance at Eden, whose jaw is almost to the floor. Aspen hurriedly walks over to the couches and scrambles to pull up an Instagram story on her phone as she sits down. We follow and sit on either side of her. She turns up the volume before showing it to the both of us.

Killian is clearly on top of Nick, despite the blurry video. Within the full twenty seconds, all I see is his fist continuously making contact with Nick's face. His yells echo in my ears as Killian silently punches him until he faints.

I can imagine that this is how it went the night of the party.

"Holy... shit," I whisper.

Just before the video ends, Killian stands up with bloodied hands and the crowd around him disperses. Most of them were probably afraid that they'd be next.

"What are you talking about?"

Each of our heads turn to face the voice behind us. Killian stands with his hands nonchalantly in his pockets, looking at the three of us for an answer, and Aspen quickly hides her phone behind her back. Without a word, I spring up from the couch, grabbing his hand to pull him away to a quieter spot.

As I stop in an isolated corridor, I practically throw his hand away from me. "You're such an idiot." I curse him before I forcefully examine his face, and I grab his chin to lift his head. "Why would you do that? You could've gotten hurt."

By the look on his face, I can tell that he already figured out what I'm talking about, without me even mentioning it. Before speaking, he glances around the empty hallway, then his eyes rest on me.

"He touched you." Killian inclines his head. "I didn't like that."

I stare into his eyes for a brief moment, and it's clear that he means what he said. "You can't just go around beating people up because you didn't like something they did," I sigh, letting go of his face.

"If it involves you, then I have no problem doing so," he says seriously. I narrow my eyes at him, and he raises his hands. "Alright, I'm sorry."

My eyes roll back so far that I swear they almost fall out of their sockets. Sometimes he can be really infuriating. I turn to leave the hallway without a word, and I try my best not to scream.