18 - control

Monday, December 12th

Heading up the elevator to Killian's apartment is always intimidating. I had never been in places like this before him. It's extraordinary how buildings like these even exist.

I get to the door of his apartment, and I ring the bell, patiently waiting for him to answer. I'm fidgeting with the strap of my bag as I hear footsteps behind the door. The lock clicks, and the door slowly opens.

"Hey, Ian!" I say excitedly.

We haven't actually gone out to do something in a while. The university, my dorm, and his apartment are the only places where we've really seen each other. So, I'm over the moon to go out and do something, even if it's almost below freezing outside.

Killian only gives me a small smile before stepping aside to let me in. I catch a glimpse of his eyes, and I can immediately tell that something isn't right. I slip my shoes off at the entrance and set my bag down on the small table.

My hand catches his forearm before he has the chance to head further into his apartment. "What's up?" I ask, now noticing how tired his eyes look in this lighting.

He audibly sighs. "I ran out of my pills a few days ago. I thought I had more, but I guess I was wrong."

I assume that he's talking about the pills that he takes for his OCD. From what he's told me, it affects him greatly, and he needs to take them on a daily basis.

My eyebrows furrow, and my grip on his arm changes. "When can you get more?"

"I called my doctor, it's going to take a few days." He looks down at my hand.

"Are you going to be okay to hang out today?" I ask, and he puts his hand atop mine, slowly sliding it off his arm.

He kisses my forehead. "Yes, I'll be fine." Once my hand is off, I'm left speechless that he kissed me as he starts to walk away. "I'll be back. I just need to grab something."

I barely nod, watching as he heads down the hall and into his room. I step into the wide space, and I stare at his paintings on the wall as usual. I still can't believe he's not an art major. His work cannot just be a hobby, it's truly amazing.

In my peripheral, something smaller catches my eye on the wall just above his desk. As I walk over, it comes clearer into view.

It's the picture we took at the photo booth before, specifically, the one that "fell" off from the rest of them. He's had it this whole time?

"This sneaky bastard," I whisper to myself with a laugh. I run my finger over the edges of the paper, and I press my lips together to suppress a smile. "How did I not notice it here?"

The apartment has been silent for a few minutes now, and Killian hasn't come back from his room. I leave the picture alone and turn towards the hallway.