Chapter 10 - Trouble

Start from the beginning

I sat down on my black leather chair begrudgingly. I sighed as I picked up the first of many papers and started to work. I combed through them at I pace which was too slow for my liking. Some papers were filled with orders others with bills.

I was about halfway through the pile when I heard a knock on my door. A headache clung to me. Too many words and too many numbers. I welcomed the distraction as I saw my older raven-haired brother walking into my office. "So you and Eloise?" Blake asked me with a smirk.

I realised that I hadn't spoken to him at dinner the other night. Everyone was too busy in their own conversations. And I was stuck on Eloise. Now that we were together and our relationship was out in the open I couldn't stay away. I don't think that I'd ever be able to stay away ever again.

"Yeah." I said as I grinned like an idiot. Blake stepped closer to me and clapped me on the back. "Congrats man. You deserve happiness." He said with a smile. "Thanks." I smiled. And for the first time in a long time, I felt truly happy.

Blake stayed the rest of the day as we caught up. We didn't see each other that often anymore since I spent most of my time with Eloise. It was probably about time for a boy's night. I loved my brothers even if they got on my nerves most of the time. No matter what happened we were always there for each other.

We were still catching up when Blake was abruptly cut off by my phone ringing. I picked up my phone and saw that it was Eloise calling. I smiled as I answered the call.

As soon as I answered the phone Eloise's panicked voice filled my ears.

"Drew-" She gulped as if she had been crying.

I straightened, my one hand gripping the edge of the table. "What's wrong? Are you okay?"

"Someone broke into the house." She said with a strained voice.

"What do you mean?" I frowned as I immediately stood up and grabbed my car keys off the table.

"The whole house is trashed." She whimpered.

I couldn't think about anything else than getting to Eloise. "I'm on my way." I said as I rushed out of my office.

I saw the red and blue lights flashing from the direction of our house as I drove closer to the house. Eloise was talking to someone in a uniform as I pulled up into the gravel driveway. It was too dark to see the deputy's face from this distance. Her eyes were puffy from crying. I quickly stepped out of the car and rushed to her side.

I gently grabbed her cheeks with both hands. "You okay?" I asked as I surveyed her for any injuries.

"They left before we got here." Eloise said, understanding that I was checking if she was hurt. I pulled her into my chest and wrapped my arms around her. She gave a small sigh of relief. I held her for a moment and pressed a kiss into her hair. "I'm glad you're okay."

"Me too." She pulled back slightly to look me in the eyes.

I heard a cough from behind me. I turned around to face the man in the uniform. Only it wasn't just any man in a uniform. I took in his short blond hair, his short stubble and sharp blue eyes. Suddenly something changed in me. First, the shock set in and then the anger took over. Bits of anger bristled just under my skin as I clenched my firsts.