Ch. 2

Jaelyn

I got the kids inside the house as it started raining. We are watching the rain. Bridgette's doing her homework.

The twins are playing in their playroom. I am in my office, doing some school work.

I grabbed my phone, looking at my Instagram DMs. I looked at my text messages from Marcel.

Marcel: Hey. How are you?
Jaelyn: I'm good, spending time with my kids. How are you?
Marcel: I keep forgetting you're a mummy. I'm great. That's good. Spending time with your kids is always good. How old are they?
Jaelyn: My oldest is nine and my twins are 16 months old.
Marcel: Your oldest is nine? How so?
Jaelyn: I got pregnant with Bridgette when I was 16 years old. I was still in high school. So yeah, I'm a teen mom. Can I message you later? I have to keep an eye on my kids since we're outside
Marcel: Yeah, sure I can. By the way, what are you doing this Friday?
Jaelyn: My kids will be visiting their dads, so nothing. Why?
Marcel: I was wondering if you wanted to hang out with me again just as friends. If not, I totally understand
Jaelyn: Let me think about it.

I started thinking about his question of me and him hanging out again. The first time we hung out, we just went out for coffee as a friend about two weeks ago. We talked non-stop, and conversations lasted about over a few hours.

I put my phone down as I put it on the charger. I headed downstairs, going to the kitchen.

I checked on Bridgette. "How's homework going?" I asked.

"Good. It's a long process of multiplication and division. 10th grade math," Bridgette said.

"I remember that. You have to show your work," she said. "I know. I'm gonna make dinner. What should I make?" I asked.

"Hmm... Surprise me, Mom," Bridgette said. I nodded, opening my fridge. I grabbed a pound hamburger, setting it down.

"I'll make a hamburger helper for you kids with lactose free milk," I said. Bridgette nodded, smiling.

"Sounds good. Mom, who is your friend from NXT?" she asked. "Do you promise not to tell Dad Fergal or your dad?" I asked.

"Promise, Mom," she said. "The friend that's from NXT that I've been talking to. His name is Marcel," I said.

"Marcel? Is the guy that always looks like a sourpuss with Walter?" she asked. "Yeah, that's Marcel. He's a bad guy on TV, however, in person, he's actually a nice, sweet, talkative, respectful and always training non-stop," I said.

"Oh that's good," she said. "Yeah. He wants to hang out with me again as a friend tomorrow," I said.

"Oh?" she asked. "Yeah. Should I say yes to hanging out with him?" I asked. "Mom. you should. You are allowed to have friends, even if he's a guy," she said.

I nodded. "Well let me cook some dinner for you guys," I said. Bridgette nodded as she went back to doing her homework.

Later That Night

My kids and I finished eating dinner. Bridgette's doing the dishes. The twins just had their baths since they got messy while eating macaroni, got their jammies on and got them to bed.

I played the white noise to help them sleep. I went to Bridgette's room to check on her.

"Hey, Mom," Bridgette said. "Hey. Did you finish the dishes?" I asked.

"Yes, they're in the dishwasher now. My homework is all done," she said, showing her folder.

"Can I look at it before putting it in your bag?" I asked. Bridgette nodded, handing me her folder.