15: Confinement (Sky Mirror AU)

En başından başla

He felt something poke his cheek.

Turning his head showed Light with a small frown. Sabre hummed, gazing up at his friend.

"Back with us?" He asked.

Sabre nodded, swallowing the bite he had still in his mouth. He received a few amused huffs from the group. "As I was saying," Orange Leader continued. Sabre turned to look back out the window.

What he wouldn't give to be able to be in the sky...

Sabre stood up, taking another bite of his muffin, heading up the stairs.

Higher...

His home was higher...

The sky...

High in the sky...

Sabre sat the half eaten muffin on the end table. Unlocking the window, he slid it open. It wasn't hard to pop the screen out, setting it against the wall. He grabbed the muffin again and slipped out the window.

A few clouds speckled the sky, appearing when he wasn't looking. A light breeze tugged at his clothes. He sat down next to the open window, leaning against the wall.

Now that he was outside, he could hear the noises of the village going about their business. Faintly, he could hear a knock. Sabre took another bite, gazing up at the sky.

His chest felt tight as emotions welled up inside him. Sabre gave a dry laugh as tears pricked his eyes. Funny he could feel homesick but not even remember his home besides a few scattered memories...

— —

Cold surrounded him, along with blurry faces. Blues and grays and white swirling around everyone.

"Stay safe out there Sabre!"

"Have fun down there!"

"Oh! Did I just catch the Spell Casting!?"

"See ya Sabre!"

"Sabre!"

He laughed, stumbling forwards as L—— and T——- slammed into his back. "You're back!" They spoke in unison.

He slipped from their grasp, smiling at them.

"Do you ever miss it?" L—a- asked.

Sabre looked up from the miniature storm cloud he was messing with. "What?"

"The worlds?" L—a- rolled over to face him. "Do you miss any of the worlds?"

"No? Should I?"

L—a- shrugged. "I'm just worried one day we'll go down and then not want to leave."

Sabre frowned, dispelling the cloud in his hands. "Well, if that happens, we'll just have to make the most of it."

L—a- nodded. "I guess..."

— —

"Sabre?!" Sabre jumped at Time's voice. Shifting, he peaked back into the window to see Time glancing around his room in a panic.

"Yeah?" Sabre cringed at the roughness of his voice and the sheer relief Time had when he spotted him.

Time crossed his room with ease. "What are you doing out there? You're soaked!"

Sabre looked down at himself to see he was in fact dripping with water. Glancing back at the town showed that it started raining at some point. The cloudy were a dark gray, hanging over the town as rain pattered down.

"Oh..."

Time sighed. "Come on." He held out a hand. "Let's get you dried up."

It was less dignifying to clamber through a window when someone was watching, but Sabre couldn't care less at the moment. Time shut the window the moment he was inside.

It was quiet when Sabre quickly pulled out a change of clothes. He froze when he glanced up and caught sight of himself in the mirror.

It was almost as if the rain washed away the brown, leaving only dark gray hair to drip water down his face and neck.

His eyes were the same unsettling gray.

Sabre looked away. It was pointless to worry about it, he repeated to himself.

Sabre simple pair of sweats and his chicken hoodie.

— —

"Sabre!" A blurry face ran up. "Look! Look! I made a cloud chicken!"

"What outfit for the spell casting this time?" L—a- asked. "I'm thinking about a medieval world this time around."

Sabre laughed. "Thinking just a normal survival world. Haven't done one I awhile."

L—a- laughed. "Too embarrassed after last time?"

"Shush!"

"An entire world and you had to become an assassin?" Lu-a-

"You have no excuse either, mister!" He snapped back.

Lu-a- gave a small laugh. "I just find it nice how petty you are."

"Hey! They didn't have to take me in! Leave my adoptive parents out of this!"

Lu-a- held up his hands. "Alright alright. Though I do have to admit, you can look really scary in that outfit."

"That's the-"

Sabre jumped when a hand landed on his shoulder. Time was in front of him, a worried expression painted clearly across his face. "Sabre...?" He asked slowly. "Are you okay?"

Sabre nodded. Time didn't look convinced. "You're crying." He pointed out.

Rubbing a cheek showed Time's statement to be true. "I'm fine." He croaked out. "Just...memories..."

Time blinked once. Twice. "You're remembering things?"

Sabre nodded. "Where I came from." There was a pause. "My old home." He tacked on, as if he had to explain it even more.

"That's...good?" Time sounded unsure. "Come on," He pressed a towel into his hands. "You need to get dry before you become sick." Sabre nodded, rubbing the towel without much thought.

Time walked to the door. "I'll come back in a few minutes. Dinner is almost done."

Sabre felt his mind whirl. Dinner? Where has the day gone? Sabre shook his head, wet hair sticking to his face. Get dry, then ponder.

Time, like he said, came back a few minutes later, just as Sabre was slipping on the chicken hoodie. He smiled once he caught sight of him when he peeked his head in.

Sabre smiled back. "What's for dinner?"

Time's eyes flicked over his clothes. "...chicken." He said after a beat of silence.

Sabre snorted. "Alright." He said with a smile. He was fine being stuck to the ground as long as he had his friends.

It didn't stop the pain in his heart each time he gazed up at the sky, forever confined to the ground below.

— — —

Words: 1671