Green-Eyed Monster

Start from the beginning

"Just don't be British."

"I can't just stop being British!"

"What is that I hear? I think I just heard something."

"What? Is it a bird?"

"The sound of you becoming American." She smiles elated.

I give her a look that speaks to how done I am with her shit but she clearly doesn't care. When has she ever? I also think that's part of what makes her so spectacular. She doesn't let others' input affect her happiness. At least not anymore.

"I'll try and act like I belong but no promises. I'm used to rugby, the occasional cricket, and actual football."

"This is actual football!"

"You don't even use your foot!" The two of us banter but her face turns slightly red.

"Shut up!"

I laugh at her and follow her to her inside the stadium. When she said she got good seats I didn't think she meant this good. We're in a luxury club suite. There are flatscreen TVs, reclining chairs, catered food and drink, couches, for some reason a fireplace. The list just goes on of random unnecessary amenities that only the rich would have access to.

"Why would you pay so much for this? We could have gotten normal seats."

"I make millions a year from royalties. Why not?"

"Fair enough." The two of us walk to our seats and sit down.

Taylor gets ignorant stares from people surrounding us. The judgment that follows her from every corner of the world. I can see why she never leaves her home. She's always recognized and reminded of her past. It's like no matter where she walks, people whisper, and eyes are watching. She's hated.

"I'm going to go to the bathroom." Her voice is cracking. She's hurt. There are tears in her eyes and she's hiding behind her jacket. She stands up but I grab her hand.

"No, don't let them win. I'm here for you."

She nods and sits back down. She takes a deep breath and we watch the game start. The game started well. We were having a lot of fun and I think it got her mind off everything. I loved seeing her smile. She has the best smile. The type of smile that shines and makes you happy just from seeing it. There have been many days where all I wanted to do was make her grin like a Cheshire cat because I knew it would change the liveliness of the room.

"What happened?" I ask pointing at the field.

"The Jets called a time-out." She explains to me.

"Ohhhh."

Out of nowhere, the jumbotron shows Taylor, and below it reads TAYLOR SWIFT 10-TIME GRAMMY AWARD WINNER.

Taylor stands up and grins while waving her hands. She's so ecstatic and it makes me so content to see her like this. But the unexpected happened. What I feared would happen. The crowd starts to boo her. The light fades from her eyes and I swear for a moment I saw her irises glaze over and become glassy like she had died. This was something she couldn't recover from. She ran as fast as she could into the bathroom. I run after her but Taylor locks the door before I can catch up to her. I can hear her crying and my heart shatters.

I knocked on the door a couple of times, trying to grab her attention. "Taylor, let me in."

"No. Leave me alone." She pleads.

"I promised I would be here for you. I have no intention of breaking that promise."

"Everyone hates me!"