"Did you write to Paule and Joaquim?", I asked my mother while I entered the house, with Virginie clinging onto me, and Georges and Anastasie on either side of me. 

"Yes, they shall meet Louise tomorrow, or possibly later, whenever they get the letter." I smiled, looking down at Virginie, excited to know that she has a cousin so close to her age, and she looked at me with a small coo, while we entered the master bedroom of the house, Gilbert, the children, and I entering first, as too many people would be overwhelming.

Louise was in a lavender nightgown in bed, with her son delicately swaddled in her arms. She perhaps looked as tired as I was after childbirth, and I smiled fondly at her. Louis happily let us in, "Thank you for coming." He had a proud look on his eyes, the same proud look Gilbert would have for a few days after I gave birth each time.

"Louise, I hope we are not intruding", I said softly, despite her invitation. After all, I do know how painful and exhausting childbirth is. The baby was a bit bigger than Georges when he was born, comfortably resting his eyes in his mothers grasp.

"Oh no, not at all." She smiled with genuine warmth, while Georges and Anastasie eyed the baby in curiosity, standing on their tip-toes, holding onto the edge of the bed. Gilbert chuckled, picking them both up so they could get a clearer look. Anastasie reached her head further to peer at the little one.

"How are you feeling?", he inquired, whilst Georges was staring at the baby boy in wonder.

"Besides being tired, I am quite alright", she replied, with a contented smile, moving her left hand to make sure her son's head was being supported.

"What is his name?", Anastasie asked curiously, clinging onto the fabric of Gilbert's coat. Louise smiled, "His name is Louis Joseph Alexis. We might call him 'Joseph' or 'Alexis' to distinguish." I looked at the baby in awe, he had light blonde hair, with brown eyes, resting his head against Louise's bosom.  Georges looked down at Louis-Joseph, cooing as if he were looking at a fine piece of artwork.

"I must congratulate you, he is a wonderful addition to your family; our family", I told them, my voice quiet, but full of thrill.

"I think so, too", said Louis, nodding in agreement, sitting next to his wife, looking down at his son in wonder. 

"Well, we must be going, soon, as you have more guests, and most definitely need rest."

"Can't I hold him?", Anastasie whined.

"Yeah, wanna hold him!", Georges added. Louise smiled at their innocence, however she looked exhausted, after haven given birth.

"Children, remember how you had to wait to hold Virginie because she was so fragile? Well, you'll be able to hold Louis-Joseph next time, of course if your aunt and uncle allow you to. He needs rest, especially Aunt Louise. It is nighttime and we do not want to disturb the babies sleeping patterns", Gilbert explained, looking down at Louis-Joseph, who was almost falling asleep. 

"Okay... Goodbye, auntie!", Anastasie exclaimed, however making sure to whisper.

"Bye-Bye, Uncle Louis", said Georges.

"We wish you good health", I told them, opening the door, letting the rest of my family visit the baby boy.

--

A few days later, I was busy with putting on makeup, lightly putting powder on my face and some rouge on my cheeks, wanting to be modest for tonight's dinner party, where we would meet Clotilde's suitor. Behind me, Gilbert was admiring me, "You look beautiful", he told me, causing me to smile a little. I wore a beautiful red robe a la polonaise, with a yellow and pink floral pattern across my sleeves, skirts, and bodice. Picking up my hair clip, which was a pink rose, Gilbert delicately placed it in my hair, which was up in a high roll.