Chapter 17

October, 1781

With Georges sitting on my lap eating some scones, Diane and I sat in chairs facing diagonally while Anastasie engaged in a game of croquet with my sisters. "C'mon, Tasie! Whack the ball! You can do it!", Paule cheered her on, while Rosalie looked at her fingernails, waiting for Anastasie to position herself just right, with Clotilde helping her position her hands on the mallet. With a swing, Anastasie whacked the ball through the hoop. "Yay!", I cheered, while Diane clapped.

Rosalie raised her hand above her eyes, "I did not expect Louise to be here today; I thought she was in Paris!" I turned around, placing my hand on the back of my chair, to see my sister rushing out of a carriage. "What is the commotion?", Diane asked while Louise picked up her skirts, rushing towards us in the yard.

"Whatever is the matter, Louise?" I asked while she tried to catch her breath, offering her some tea. "Don't worry, it is good news", she declared, while Anastasie walked up to her. "I can play croquet!"

She smiled at her niece dearly, "That is wonderful, dear." She turned back to me, "I came as soon as I heard, Adrienne. America has won the war. There was victory at Yorktown. The British have surrendered."

The news made my stomach flip. "Are you serious, Louise?", I asked, barely able to speak. The war has dragged on for years; I thought it would never be over.

"Indeed I am, as serious as I can be. While America does not have full independence quite yet, they will soon." She took my hands, "Your husband is coming home."

--

January, 1782

I wore a beautiful periwinkle robe a la francaise, with little ribbons on the side of the bodice, in the palace celebrating the birth of the Dauphin. The last letter I had received from Gilbert was in December, telling me he would return soon. The Dauphin, Louis Joseph, was safe asleep, nestled far away from the loud party.

Louise fanned herself with her pink fan, and we stood in the corner of the room, telling certain suitors who asked for our permission to dance, that we are indeed married. "They're like sharks waiting for their next meal, I tell you." I laughed a little, "Indeed they are. That is why I would stay close to Gilbert in Paris." I held my fan against my chest, "I hope he will return."

"You mustn't be so glum, Adrienne, he will." I waved my fan against my face, "With so many people, it sure is hot in here." Louise nodded, "Indeed, Adrienne. If only we were not required to wear so many layers-- I wish to retire for the night, soon."

Closing my fan, I noticed some noise and commotion near the front of the room. "Who arrived? As if someone is more exciting than the king or queen!", my sister laughed, continuing to wave her fan. "Quit being such a chatterbox, Louise, you're boring Adrienne", Clotilde mumbled, sipping some white wine. Still being shocked that my little sister is allowed to drink now, I replied, "It is quite alright. But Louise is right, perhaps we should be going, now."

"But the refreshments are so divine!", Clotilde argued. The excitement seemed to calm down for a bit, and Antoinette walked up to me. "Are you enjoying your night, Adrienne?"

"Indeed, I am. I must yet again congratulate you on birthing a son.", I smiled warmly.

"You will not believe who has arrived, Dear Adrienne", she told me.

"No, I could hardly guess, who?", I asked, tilting my head.

"May I present The Hero of Two Worlds..." seeing him, I nearly stumbled over. There he stood, proudly in his Continental uniform, smiling warmly at me. Playfully taking off his hat, he bowed down. "Madame..."