V. The Unknown

•••

Lena lay in bed on her back alone with tears occasionally rolling down her cheeks. Blood drying in a pool on the sheets. Her innocence just torn mercilessly away from her.

Everett left when the deed was done. She had put up a good fight but he was stronger. Not only was she bleeding down there but also out from her arm where he pulled a knife on her. The cut ran from her shoulder to her elbow.

She sat up cringing as the soreness revealed itself. She examined her body and found bruises practically morphing together. "How has it come to this?" Lena thought to herself. She just went from one abuser to another.

"I hope you're alive Samuel." She whispered to the dark quiet room.

"Ah, you're awake." Everett edged into the room. She couldn't bear to look at him. "That was fun." He spoke with smugness permeating his voice. "When are we going back to Germany?" Lena said softly still not looking at him.

"Oh about that," He walked towards her. "We aren't. We're staying here." She snapped her head around to him. If they were staying that means she'll be able to see Samuel again and maybe run away with him.

Hope ignited in her mind but as quick as it flamed he suffocated it.

"Don't go thinking I'm still going to let you waltz right out of here." He read her mind, that's the only explanation. "You can't go to that filthy street peddler."

"He isn't-" Lena started the sentence but her breath got caught. Everett took ahold of her face. "No, he isn't dead. You're just forbidden to leave." He kissed her and she pushed him away. He slapped her. "You are mine! Don't you dare defy me!" Everett spat at Lena and marched back out of the room locking her in.

•••

   Everett marched to the Viscount's old study. After he had his way with Lena he went to the Viscount to give him his money then the Viscount went home to Germany.

"Having me beaten and whipped wasn't a part of the plan." A man said coolly as his silhouette stood before the giant moonlit window. "And I guess it slipped your mind, but you forgot to mention the girl was Lena."

"Had to make it realistic," Everett told him. "But you survived didn't you?" Samuel turn to face him with a pained expression. "You didn't hurt her did you?" Samuel spoke faintly.

Everett smiled. "I didn't lay a finger on her." Samuel looked at him doubtful. "Why do you need her?" Samuel inquired. "Sorry, can't tell you that." Everett continued to smile. It unnerved Samuel.

Samuel headed for the door. He had to see if she was truly okay. He had to undo what he helped start. As his hand landed on the doorknob Everett spoke once more. "She doesn't want to see you." Samuel froze.

He's lying. But is he? Samuels's thoughts were warring against one another. What if she truthfully doesn't want to see you? She's only known you a few days and she's known him most of her life. What if she's happier with him?

He opened the door and slammed it going back to his cottage. He has to see her again to know the truth. She was afraid of him. She ran from him. He's definitely lying. He turned to look up at her window once in the courtyard where they had their first midnight rendezvous. The room didn't have a single candle lit. She's probably asleep.

•••

The cold stone corridors have haunted Samuel since he was seventeen. That's when he met Everett. That's also when the bills started overflowing and drowning him. Everett grabbed him and saved him from the mounds of debt.

Muscle memory led the way as he rounded the last corner, the smell of sickness lingering on every surface.

The door was ajar when he arrived. A clergyman soon shuffled out not meeting his eyes. The pit in his stomach sank even lower.

Samuel slowly crept into the room. A crucifix was the only embellished on the walls and a single candlestick on the bedside table was the only light in the murk of the room.

And on the bed lay a decrepit version of his once lively and alluring mother.

Samuel loathed coming here. He couldn't stomach seeing his mother in this state. A state of uncertainty. Of never knowing which breath would be her last. She was in limbo with life and death.

He wondered if she could sense his presence. He liked to think she did. That she knew he still cared. Then maybe she'd continue fighting to stay with him.

Samuel kneeled beside her and took her hand in both of his and kissed it gently. "Please come back to me." He whispered. She opened her eyes but saw nothing. She stared straight ahead of her as she often did with a blank expression.

Samuel took this as a sign that she understood him.

"I found her at last, mum." He weakly smiled. "I held her in my arms. But it's too late. She's with someone else now. And he can give her a life that I can't." His voice broke with his heart.