Best Part Of Me

Depuis le début

Sam and Colby listened to the AI-like voice play across the speakers in the room. They didn't recognize the voice as it was distorted.

" Follow the rules, you might live, break them, and suffer the consequences," laughed the voice.

" What kind've sick game is this?" asked Colby.

" Colby, please answer the first question," said the voice.

Suddenly, a small hatch in the floor opened up on Colby's side. It was a small podium with two buttons. A red button that said HOT and a blue button that said COLD. Both had question marks beside them.

" Which do you prefer?" said the voice. " Hot or Cold?"

" Probably best if you just pick one," said Sam.

" Do you think everything they said was true?" asked Colby.

" Do you really wanna find out?" asked Sam.

Colby stepped up to the small podium and slowly pressed the red button, selecting HOT. The podium disappeared into the hatch on the floor and it closed. Sam and Colby looked at each other curiously when suddenly several hatches opened up on both sides of the room. Colby felt his side start to heat up while Sam began to shiver as his side became cold.

" What the fuck?" asked Colby.

" The challenge begins," said the voice.

This was the last thing Sam and Colby heard. Colby took off his sweatshirt that he had been wearing. Sweat was dripping down his face and he looked over at Sam who had decided to wear a t-shirt.

" Sam, I'm sorry, I didn't know what would happen," said Colby.

" It's o-okay," said Sam as he shivered. " It's not y-your fault. They p-probably won't l-l-leave us l-l-long anyway."

What felt like hours later, Sam was hunched in the corner, knees to his chest as he tried to warm himself with his body heat, meanwhile Colby's body heat was out of control. He felt like the room was getting hotter by the second. Colby collapsed to all fours and he slowly steadied himself on the floor. He was starting to feel dehydrated and he didn't know how long he would last before heat stroke finally took over. Colby had stripped down to only his underwear to prevent the heat stroke from coming on any quicker.

" Are you o-o-okay?" asked Sam.

" I don't understand," said Colby. " What does any of this prove? What's the point?"

" Hello gentlemen," said the voice as it came over the speakers once again. " First challenge is for Samuel Golbach."

" What do you want?" asked Sam.

" Challenge Number 1," said the voice. " Keep your arms in a tub of dry ice, elbow deep for 15 minutes."

" What the hell?" asked Sam. " What for?"

" Sam, do you accept this challenge?" asked the voice.

" No," said Sam.

" Complete this challenge, and Colby gets a drink of cold water," said the voice.

Sam's head shot up to the speaker and then he looked over at Colby.

Colby locked eyes with his best friend." Sam..." started Colby.

" I'll do it," said Sam.

A hatch in the wall suddenly opened on Sam's side of the room and a machine pushed a styrofoam tub of dry ice towards him. Sam slowly made his way over to it. His side of the room was still freezing and he grabbed the side of the tub. He weakly got to his knees and dunked his arms into the tub of dry ice, up to his elbows. A timer suddenly began counting down on the wall. Sam did his best to stay calm and to try and drown out the cold. He was shivering from his head to his toes and now everything had been amplified by 10.