Chapter 9: They Who Bear the Flame

The next morning, much to his surprise, Ashbel woke up on a soft bed. Specifically, his bed - the one in his room back in the Towers. As his eyes slowly opened, he sat up, clutching his heart. And thankfully, it was still beating, in its slow, steady fashion. And by holding onto his heart like this, he could feel the gentle flames inside him. Compared to last night, they seemed to have simmered down somewhat, but he could still feel them within him. There was no doubting it - the events of last night had truly happened.

"You're up."

Hearing the disgruntled voice of Viera, Ashbel turned his head to scan the room. He saw his red rug, his wooden floor, his desk, which held his sheathed sword, his bow, and a silently sleeping Sly. And standing next to said desk with her arms crossed was Viera, dressed in her robes and looking down at him with a strangely stoic look on her face. Once he saw her, he offered a wave.

"Hey, Vi..." he said, smiling awkwardly. "I see you've met Sly, huh?"

"You could say that." she said calmly. "He told me what happened last night."

His smile faded slightly, and he took a deep breath. "Including-"

"Especially that part." Viera cut in, now glaring slightly at him. "How did that even happen? And...why?"

Seeing how mad she was, Ashbel sighed, getting out of bed and standing up, gently bowing his head. "I'm really sorry about that, Vi. I didn't mean to take the Torch." he closed his eyes. "I came there because I thought the White Tigers were gonna reach it, honestly! And then the Rook stabbed me, and everything went dark, but then the Torch spoke to me..."

"...what did it say?" Viera questioned, her gaze softening as she listened to Ashbel explain himself. Now, she was more curious than anything. Ashbel, noticing her edge dulling bit by bit, cleared his throat and looked back at her.

"Well...it offered me its power. It seemed like it wanted me to accept, too." he mused, looking back on the event as he once again clutched his heart. "It said...I had potential."

"Frankly, I'm not completely sure about that. From what I've seen, you've got more avarice than altruism." Viera commented, crossing her arms and side-eyeing the salamander. "However, Sly here seems pretty sold on the idea, and the Torch did deem you worthy...so what I'm trying to say is, there may be more to you than meets the eye."

"Even I'm not sure if I'm the hero the world deserves..." Ashbel sighed.

"Even you're not sure." Viera raised an eyebrow. "Which is why we have to simply wait and see."

"...right."

"And with that said...thank you." Viera murmured, averting eye contact. "From what I'm hearing, assuming it's correct, you were trying to do your job. Even if it didn't pan out like...anyone was expecting, you tried."

"It's no problem, really. I'd never intentionally let a client down." Ashbel nodded, before Viera suddenly pointed her finger at him, a stern look on her face.

"Don't forget what this means, though. You're the Torchbearer instead of me, and I'm not just gonna let that go!" she added. "So you'd better do a good job, or else I have to be ashamed on your behalf!"

"Haha, okay." Ashbel chuckled, stretching his arms and smiling at her. "I promise I'll do a good job...of killing the shit out of that Beginning guy."

"Good." Viera nodded, managing a small smile in return. "Then...keep up the good work. If what Sly tells me is true, you killed a whole platoon of White Tigers. That's as good a place as any to start."