Chapter 1

Ephraim

"Get Darius on the shipments of the coast tonight, the suppliers are bringing in new girls and the load. Keep an eye on the carrier, the son of a bîtch assigned a pothead last time and he got into the loads, make sure he understands what happens when you touch what's mine....About Federico, go pay him a visit. His debt has tripled and his time is up, I want it in full. Tonight."

I cut the call and set the cell down, a headache was beginning to form and it wasn't invited. Taking the weekend off was the only vacation I could fit, not to mention Darius hadn't been there to take over when I left, he'd need to catch up.

I stirred the scotch in my hand and debated drinking the rest. Glancing around the one room apartment I took in the leather couch I occupied at the moment, it was worn but fancy and rich, of course it was genuine leather. The living room was basically a personal library, the cozy leather recliner big enough for her small five six frame, the walls holding books from personal favorites to educational ones. A coffee table and a lamp were set up behind the recliner with a small round table and a book sitting on top of it. The poor plasma TV an outcast to the room.

Her kitchen was small but adequate, the bathroom and room spacial, just as she wanted it.

Rising up and heading to the bar of the kitchen, I found her grocery and necessities list. Next to it was her wish list, bingo.

"The Shadows by J.R. Ward (on going series) **"

"William Shakespeare's entire collection"

.....

I skipped to the only thing written with a lighter shade of color.

"Find Jay..."

Whenever Marina needed something, I made it a point to get it for her, even if she was stubborn. Just like a few weeks ago when she made it her goal to buy a new car, I worked my way around it. All I needed was to send Darius to 'persuade' her boss and her car dealer and voila.

The next morning she called with joy on an offer for the car she wanted and a raise, her happiness bringing me warmth. The only warmth. Except, not everything was nice and dandy...

This apartment was owned by both her new boss' and they had grown fond of her to let her settle somewhere besides the streets. I would've offered her my home but she had told me after I found out she had been kicked out, but I still appreciated them.

I focused on the keys slipping into the door lock, a curse from outside making me grin as I moved towards the shadows. The door opened and in came Marina carrying six heavy grocery bags, she kicked the door closed and set the bags inside the kitchen. She turned the light on and grabbed the list at the bar.

"Shit. I forgot the spaghetti sauce." Her crinkled nose and pout making me smirk quietly.

Marina stepped into the living room, the shadows where I stood at were achieved by the library's and the fact she enjoyed the moonlight just as much as the sunlight instead of artificial ones. She pulled her sweater off and threw it into the hall of the room, her thin gray tank top showing her double D breasts and flat stomach, the jeans hugging her beautiful legs. Marina walked to the stereo and turned it on to a soft blend of blues, R&B, And folk music.

I raised an amused eyebrow as she began unbuttoning her jeans and pushing them down while swaying to her music, her small round ass greeting me as she pulled a leg out and kicked the piece of clothing where her sweater sat. I stood there enjoying the serene expression she held, she had no clue I was waiting for her to acknowledge I had stepped out of the shadows with the whiskey in hand, her arms above her as she swayed her hips slowly, her back side a beautiful display and nice show.