She may have fallen for him first, but he fell for her much harder, the feelings rushing in like a tidal wave threatening to overflow.

"Now, let's start our friendship again. This time, I promise not to fall in love with you."

"Fall in love with me, Xara Connolly," he whispers, pouring his heart into every single word with the longing and hoping of a thousand universes. "Be my friend first if you have to. But fall in love with me all over again. Please."

Finally, footsteps sound, and he can't contain his excitement. It's only at the sight, however, of Delmar coming out from the back, that his heart deflates a little.

"Sorry I kept you waiting, kid. What would you like?"

Peter feels his throat go dry. It takes a couple of moments before he can find his voice, although it's a little squeakier than usual. "Hi." He clears his throat, trying to return it to normal pitch. "Hi. Is Xara Connolly working here?"

That's when Delmar takes in Peter. His suit. The hopeful expression. And he shoots him a weird look. "Xara? No. Why, do you know her?"

"'No', like, not today?"

"She doesn't work here. What do you need?"

She doesn't work here? Peter can't hold back his frown. Xara definitely works here, just like she worked last summer, before she got the job at–

It seems to hit him so suddenly. Peter fixed things. That means Xara should have her old job back at the Daily Bugle!

It's then that he seems to remember the expectant Delmar, giving a nervous chuckle. He should pick up some lunch while he's here, bring something over to Xara. He's sure she'll be hungry.

"Right. Can I just get the usual. Two of them."

Delmar's eyebrows furrow. "I've never seen you before, kid."

It seems to hit Peter all too late. The spell. Everyone forgot who Peter was, even Delmar. Delmar, who found out he was Spider-Man and kept it secret this whole time. Delmar, who never treated Peter differently.

"Yeah... right. My bad."

But even after Peter's searched the Daily Bugle, asking about a certain employee, Xara isn't there. He checks through her bedroom window (in the least stalker-y way he can manage). Nothing. Even at MJ's workplace, where they used to go sometimes. No sign of her.

But if Xara isn't at work, home, or the park... where could she be?

It's like she's disappeared off the face of the earth.

⋆🕷️⋆

"It's been a few weeks since the fiasco on the Statue of Liberty, and Spider-Man's cultists continue to contend that the vile vigilante is a hero. But if he were a hero, he'd unmask himself and tell us who he really is, because only a coward conceals his identity. Only a coward hides his true intentions. Rest assured, ladies and gentlemen, that this reporter will uncover those intentions come hell or high water. Be sure to tune in again tomorrow for more news."

The recording ends, Genevieve rushing over to take the microphone off Jameson's lapel carefully. People yell out at each other, rolling the cameras away and flicking through papers, getting ready for the editing and streaming of yet another Daily Bugle piece.

It's then that Xara appears from behind one of the panels, slightly hesitantly, before holding out the papers scribbled in her handwriting. "Sir."

"What?" he barks, pulling the coffee away from his lips (and very nearly dropping it onto the mic, making Genevieve flinch). "Can't you see I'm busy? Reading out articles on television takes a lot out of you."