twenty-three

⋆ twenty-three ⋆ 

⋆ twenty-three ⋆ 

"What, are you crazy?! You're gonna get yourself killed!"

"Alex, I did not admit to you that I'm Spider-Woman for you to yell at me over the phone every time I go into action," Xara mutters into the phone, pulling it away for a moment to swallow some more painkillers. The shooting pains were starting up again and she had to force them away. After all, this is the worst time to be injured.

"As your best friend of nearly eighteen years, I'm allowed to yell at you! And I'll be telling MJ to yell at you after you guys get into MIT, too! Xar, baby, these are actual villains! They're not the muggers and serial killers you guys usually go after. And it's bad enough that you didn't reply to any of my messages all night! You could have already been dead!"

"I'm not dead. Hate to break it to you."

"But you could still die."

"Not planning on it."

"I'm going to have a serious conversation with that Peter Parker. I swear, at first I was all for you guys being together but now I'm having regrets. He throws you into danger like it's nobody's business. I mean, he's literally live with the Daily Bugle to lure the bad guys towards you!"

"He is not-"

Xara cuts herself off when Peter casts a momentary glance towards her, offering a comforting smile instead, before hissing into the phone. "He's not doing anything, Alex! This is my choice. What's it going to take for anyone around me to let me make my own decisions?"

"You can't make your own decisions if you're just going to go around doing stupid shit," Alexandros snaps. It's not often that Xara sees him so riled up, but she's not about to back down.

"Then let me do my stupid shit and learn from it. Hell, even if I die, at least I die doing the stupid shit I wanted to do! I'm hanging up. I have bad guys to stop."

"I'm going to call Peter."

"You'd better not."

"I am."

"Damn it, Alex! Call him and I swear I'm gonna do something to you! His aunt just died, and we're fighting people from other universes, and if you call my boyfriend to have a go at him for letting me make my own choices then we are genuinely done. I'm hanging up."

She does, knowing he was about to speak but not particularly caring. It doesn't matter, anyway; she meant every word. Peter quickly rose to being one of the people she cares about most in this entire world, and she'd be damned if anything happened to him.

There's a throat cleared, and she turns, giving an awkward chuckle when she notices Lily and Madison looking at her, done with the explanation of how the hoverboard works. "Sorry. My friend, he gets a little..."