sixteen

⋆ sixteen ⋆ 

⋆ sixteen ⋆ 

Even though Otto's been sitting there calmly for the last ten minutes, eyes closed, just relishing what it's like to have his own mind back, Lily seems hesitant. While she liked Octavius, having known him since she was young and preferred him to some of her father's other aggravating friends – Carson Maxwell comes to mind – it still feels... wrong.

It feels wrong that he's back to normal. It feels wrong that they're all about to get fixed. This shouldn't be happening. It messes up the balance of the multiverse.

But the longer she watches Otto, the longer the feeling of just wanting to connect to something – or someone – from when she was young just grows stronger and stronger. It should have been her father.

But no, perhaps someone else instead. Someone who was always happy to offer chocolates in his pocket when Lily got bored at her father's meetings on days off school. Someone who let her come over and have tea with him and his wife on days she didn't want to be home, or when her father and brother were fighting.

And this is him. The same Otto. Back to normal.

The movement of the chair opposite him catches Octavius's attention, the man opening his eyes, only to smile at the sight of Lily. Without even realising, her own smile forms in return. "Lily."

"Hi... How are you feeling, Otto?"

At the worry in her eyes, he places a comforting hand over hers. "I'm perfectly fine, Lily. Better than fine. I know feeling like this doesn't... change certain things... back at home..." He drifts off for a moment, grief in his eyes as he recalls the accident, and his wife's passing, "but for the first time – in a long time – I have my mind back."

"I'm glad. It feels so strange, seeing you now. Like I'm a child again. I haven't seen you in... a long time."

"It wasn't that long for me, don't forget." He manages to give a little chuckle despite how daunting the concept may seem. "Still struggling to wrap my head around it. You're... older. Oscorp... Is it true what you said back there? Harry died?"

Lily's expression wavers, but her voice stays steady. It was a long time ago. "Yes. He did."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

"Thank you. I appreciate it."

At her calm responses, Otto can't help but feel strange. This is the same girl he saw all the time, complaining about her boyfriend or telling him about the parties she'd sneak out to go to, knowing he wouldn't tell her father. Now she's so much older, more mature. No more 'how was school' questions. Rent and families and money issues, just like the rest of them.

"So." He distracts himself from his thoughts, focusing on the here and now instead. "What do you find yourself doing these days?"

"Well, I actually own a bakery downtown. It's doing rather well."