prologue

⋆ prologue ⋆ 

⋆ prologue ⋆ 

In another universe.

"MOM! I CAN'T FIND MY GLASSES!"

"HAIR!"

Mayday Parker sticks her hand in her frizzy hair in confusion, only to come into contact with a pair of bulky, circular frames. "Thanks!" she calls back, slipping them onto her nose, all while still walking around and grabbing things to stuff in her schoolbag.

There's no time to stop in the Parker household, the general chaos of the morning repetitive as everyone in the house is up early and busy with getting ready. May continues to rush around the kitchen, pulling a granola bar out from the cupboard for lunch, only to groan when it's snatched out of her hand. "Mom!"

"You'll develop unhealthy eating habits only when I'm dead," Lily Parker argues, gesturing to the fridge. "Milk."

Instantly, May taps the palm of her hand with her two middle fingers, but the web that shoots out from her wrist goes flying wildly, sticking to the flower vase instead. In a quick and desperate attempt to remove the damage before her mother spots it, May yanks her hand back, only for the vase to go flying towards her.

Peter Parker manages to catch it with one hand as he heads into the room with his half-done tie held by the other hand, distressed. He doesn't even notice, placing it back onto the counter. Just as the sigh of relief slips past May's lips, she stops, noticing Lily's glare on her. She instantly throws her hands up. "It was an accident!"

"No powers in the morning!"

As she grumbles before heading away, Lily pulls Peter's arm to turn him around, pausing in her sandwich-making to finish up his tie neatly. "Thanks, Lils. Have you seen my–"

"House keys? In your pocket."

Frowning, Peter checks, only to pull it out after a moment. "Thanks, honey."

He heads away instantly to grab his shoes, Lily amusedly glancing at their dog lying on his bed, watching all the drama. "Do you need something too, Miles?" He tilts his head, curious.

Lily chuckles, getting back to the sandwiches when the doorbell cuts through the chaos. "It's Harley!" May shouts before Peter can ask.

Nevertheless he turns to his wife, puzzled. "Who the hell is Harley?"

"Her boyfriend, honey."

"Wait, she has a–"

"Not now. Call him in, love! Don't keep him waiting outside!"

The front door opens, a slightly-dishevelled boy heading in with a bag slung over one shoulder and a bright smile. "Hey, Mayonnaise," he greets, pulling May in for a hug.

It was the wrong thing, Peter's eagle eyes whirling around to set themselves on Harley Keener with a glare. "What did you just call–"

Lily shoves half a sandwich into Peter's open mouth before he can continue, instead turning to the boy with a smile. "Morning, Harley. Come, sit down, we're just getting ready. How are your mother and sister?"

"They're doing well, Mrs P," he returns, going to sit down on the couch by Miles as May continues rushing around. Peter mutters something under his breath once he's finished the sandwich. "Mom was thanking you for the cake, said she'd stop by the bakery this morning during her break."

"Good to hear. I'll pack some chocolate cake for her to take home for Abby."

She heads over to the mirror on the wall, fixing up her hair in a loose bun as Peter puts food down for Miles, patting the Golden Retriever behind the ears. "I'll come by at lunch to put his food today, honey."

"Just make sure you don't cut your meeting short for it!"

He nods, jogging over to the kitchen to grab the bags there with food. As if sensing it, May reenters to take one from him. "Maybear... honey... me... wait, there's an extra bag."

Lily passes by, pressing a kiss to his cheek before taking her own bag. "It's for Harley."

"Thanks, Mrs P."

"What– Did everyone know he existed except for me?"

"Avoiding this exact reaction till you finished your project," Lily admits, although she shoots their daughter a meaningful look, catching the mouthed sorry out of the corner of her eye. "Didn't need you getting distracted before the new pitch." It doesn't stop Peter's glare, regardless, passing Harley the bag with a warning glare.

Once everyone is ready, the chaos ensues as they all gather together, doing the usual kisses carousel. Lily kisses May on the cheek, Peter kisses Lily on the lips as May gags in the background, May kisses Miles on the nose as he wags his tail, on and on till everyone's been kissed, ready for the day.

Then Peter freezes. He thought he'd kissed May, but it seems Harley got up at the same time. The two stop, looking at each other with wide eyes, before both turn a dark red, embarrassed. Lily chuckles, already planning on how to tease her husband after they get back from work that evening.

It's always the same, all of them piling out of the house at the same time. May intertwines her fingers with Harley's after giving Miles a final goodbye wave, only to hide it from her father the moment he glances over at them. Instead he just shakes his head, passing the car that his wife stands by. "When am I going to get to drive this thing?" he complains in usual fashion, stopping in front of Lily.

She laughs, teasingly poking his shoulder. "Maybe when you learn to drive one. You know how to ride a motorcycle, feel free to upgrade to one with that hefty salary of yours, Mr CEO."

"You're just jealous that we swapped places."

"Definitely not, Parker. I'm absolutely fine managing my own small-time bakery. I'll leave changing the world to Spider-Man without the mask." Eyes widening, Peter hurriedly glances over at Harley, only to see the conversation the two young teenagers are involved in, too busy to overhear. "Besides... you look good in a suit."

Peter can't help his smile as he kisses her, then heads over to his bicycle as she unlocks the car. "You have to specify which."

"Not if I prefer wit–"

But she stops after turning around. Peter isn't there anymore.

When May and Harley are done talking, May tucks some of her hair behind her ear before turning to her parents. "Mom, Dad, we're going to go."

They pause. May's eyes flicker around, senses on full alert, wary. "Mom? Dad?" All of their mornings are the same, always. They make sure to keep the pattern so they don't forget anything, going through the motions.

But Mayday Parker isn't expecting to see the bike fall to the ground and the car door left open, with her parents nowhere in sight.