two

⋆ two ⋆ 

⋆ two ⋆ 

"Jail? Dad is gonna freak out."

"It was just an interrogation," Xara mutters, only to stop the moment Ky begins to glare at her. "Right. Sorry."

"This Mysterio would be dying at my hands if he wasn't already fucking dead."

Danielle immediately hisses at her husband, narrowing her eyes. "Don't swear. Brielle is going to learn bad things from you."

That at least manages to coax a slight smile from Xara's lips. "How is my niece?"

"Oh, she's gotten to the phase where she can hear things from outside. Which means we need to say things appropriately and not use bad language. She's also getting her eyelashes, her eyebrows, blood cells, all that."

"Does it not feel weird that there's a person growing in you?"

"Hey!" Ky snaps, shaking his head. "Don't change the subject. You went to jail. Do you know how that's going to affect your college applications?"

"Ky, honestly, college is the least important thing on my mind right now. Do you know what trouble Peter is in? I mean, you knew he was Spider-Man almost a year ago, and I told you about him for years before that. You know he wouldn't do anything like that. He's not a murderer."

"I know, kiddo. But what can we do? I mean, I don't want to tell you to ditch him, but we both know what Dad is going to say..."

"I'm not ditching him. We're in this together."

"Because you're Spider-Woman!" Danielle practically shouts, then covers her mouth in shock, eyes wide and alert. "Oh my God! That explains so much now! Like when you started waking up early and going to the gym- I thought it was because you were finally dating Peter Parker, but then suddenly you were getting muscle and the next time I saw you, you were jacked and everything-"

"Stop, that's so embarrassing."

"Wait. Hang on." Ky stops, slowly beginning to realise something. "The world is going to think Spider-Woman is a pervert because Spider-Man is a kid."

"It's not about me, it's about Peter!" But when the words process in her head, Xara bites her lip anxiously. "They're going to think I'm a pervert?"

She snaps out of it almost instantly, shaking her head so violently Danielle is sure it'll snap right off. "No, stop! Peter is struggling right now and I don't know what to do!"

"Well, what can you do?" Danielle reminds her gently, hand resting on her blown-up stomach. She grew accustomed to the maternal instincts very quickly, in Xara's opinion, although they were mostly already there to begin with. "You can stick with him. No pun intended. Remind him you're there for him, that he's not going through it alone."