"Same, don't worry about it," Lily says after a moment, allowing herself a little eye roll. "When JJ found out about Peter being Spider-Man - accidentally, by the way - it became a whole deal. I don't think he fully trusts him even now."

"How did he find out?"

The older woman at least has the decency to look a little sheepish. "He walked in on us making out. Peter was in his suit."

Maddy and Xara stare at her, eyes wide.

It's Madison that clears her throat, bouncing off her perch against the construction railing and holding something out to the two. "Anyway. Here. Earpieces."

"When did you even have time to make these?"

"I'm a multitasker." She flicks some of her curls over her shoulder dramatically, waggling her eyebrows with a laugh. It's when she hears Peter 3 laugh down below, talking to the other Peters, that a smile forms on her lips unknowingly.

Lily definitely notices, a smile forming on her own. "Boyfriend?"

"He's not my boyfriend," the scientist is quick to refute, only for the tips of her ears to redden a little. "Best friends. Kinda."

"Yeah, what's the big deal with that?" Xara interjects, having been curious about it this entire time. "I mean, I thought you were dating. You guys were talking all super cute, and he was basically crying about you before you showed up. Quicker to tears than my Peter, definitely."

"Oh. Well... it's kind of a long story?"

"We have time."

Madison hesitates. "His ex died while he was Spider-Man-ing and he couldn't save her. Left ten years of guilt that I didn't want to make him relive. It already took effort to get him to be friends, and I didn't want to force him to get over her quickly either just because he was with me. Okay, that didn't take as long as I thought it would."

"That's admirable," Lily tells her after a moment. Maddy's gaze darts to her in surprise at the compliment. "I pushed Peter into trying to date his ex right after she kissed my brother, who just passed away. We ended up dating instead. Life just... fucks you over sometimes, I guess." She clears her throat. "Sorry, if you don't mind my asking... how did you die?"

"It started from when I was involved in an Oscorp accident-"

Liliana can't help but throw her hands in the air incredulously. "Great, good to know Oscorp is incompetent in every universe. Never mind; I think I'd rather not know."

"It still feels weird as hell that you're here when you're my boss back home."

"Trust me, I'm getting annoyed with constantly being recognised."

"I didn't recognise you," Xara chirps happily, overjoyed that they're finally starting to get along despite all technically dating the same person. "Although maybe I've seen you in my universe and not remembered. Maybe you have a different face. Maybe even a different personality. It could happen."

"Like how I have a different surname, age and entire life," Maddy can't help but mumble, sourly remembering the moment she was told she was a grant-aunt. "My niece is still in elementary school in my universe. It feels weird to know that she had a kid in this one."

"What about you?" Lily questions. "In this universe, how was your life like?"

"Oh, I still never married and lived alone till I became senile. I think I live with that girl and her family now. Michelle. Or, the other me does. I wouldn't want to."

"Hey, she's nice. She's a really great person. She's sweet and caring. She's pessimistic sometimes, but that's okay," Xara defends, strongly protective of the girl she once hated. She then turns to Lily. "How did you meet your Peter?"

Ephemeral »« No Way Homeजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें