Chapter 14

I never asked much from you, except for your heart and to ask you to love me back

To appreciate my existence instead of denying my being. To help make me feel less invisible even when you were not here with me.

Even then, there were still some words that I kept wishing to hear from you.

Words that seemed impossible to be spoken, because no matter how many promises you had given and kept for me, I had always known that there was one promise that you had given and one that you would never be able to break.

The promise that you gave her.

"I'm leaving her."

Back then, many years ago, you dreamt of moments like this, to hear him say those words to you. Whenever you would look back in the past, you would often wonder what would have happened if you ever had any courage to ask him to say something like this.

It feels too overwhelming to accept that you are not just imagining things. That he had truly just said those words to you, completely unprompted, after weeks have passed since the night you spilled your secret wish and talked about what you truly wanted from him.

What your heart still desires from then and to this day.

Shaking your head, you try to deny that this is happening. You have to. Because you can already feel your silly little hope blooming in your chest, thinking that he truly meant what he just said. "You can't mean that," you say to him with a wry smile, still refusing to believe him. Yet when his determined gaze doesn't seem to waver, it tugs you out of your denial.

"But I do. I mean every word I said," Namjoon says to you almost pleadingly, and you can feel your resolve cracking under the firm tone of his voice. You try to avoid his gaze so you can remain in denial, yet he refuses to let you ignore him as he walks over to you in his fast and long strides until he is standing right in front of you. Taking your hands in his, he forces you to look at him in the eyes when he says, "I want to."

The breath that you take trembles, and it gets caught in your chest for the fear that you might break. Seeing this, Namjoon tightens his grip on your hands to get you to focus on his words before you start panicking. "Remember when we talked about what you truly wanted? When you finally shared with me everything that you've never been able to ask from me? Well, this is me finally being honest with what I want. This is what I've always wanted but never could admit," he says, almost rushing in his words as if he has been keeping it inside for too long.

"Do you mean it? Do you really mean this?" you start questioning him once you are able to find your voice again. "You told me—" you choke out a sob, "you said that you couldn't promise me anything when you already made one promise to another." Just when you say those words, his words from many years ago return to your thoughts, echoing inside your head the way it always does whenever you reminisce that time in the past where he unintentionally put your wishes to rest,