Chapter 05

Every time I had to let you go and watch as you return to your life, my heart would always feel heavy

I would listen to my guts as they told me that it was going to be the last time that I was able to see you, and I would prepare myself for the hurt that might follow.

But every time you left, you kept promising that you would return.

And every single time, you kept that promise. Always coming back to me when I was prepared to live a life without you in it.

Sometimes I wonder...what would our lives be if you had never kept those promises you gave me.

Sometimes a part of me even wished that you hadn't kept them.

Because things would have been so much easier if you had just forgotten about those secret pledges you had given me. Things might have been much easier for me if you had lied and purposely hurt me from the start.

Maybe I would have been able to leave sooner.

Maybe then...I wouldn't have been falling in love with you more and more, or let myself be swooned by all the expectation and hope that you helped plant inside this silly little heart of mine.

Namjoon kept his words.

Within a few days, he returns. The evening had just fallen when he comes knocking at your door, surprising you with a jolt rising inside your chest when you see him standing there, with an easy smile on his face as if he has no care in the world. As if he is not supposed to be somewhere else other than here.

"You...came," you whisper in your shock, drawing his smile to grow wider.

"Didn't I promise you that I would?" Namjoon asks you with a tease in his words. But the moment he takes in the look you are giving him, seeing no smile or joy but finding a hint of your apprehensiveness in their place instead, his smile slowly fades. It shouldn't surprise you that he is still capable of reading your emotions. A look of genuine concern and sadness fills his gaze when he, no doubt, can see the look of relief and astonishment in your eyes for seeing him. As if you had expected that he would never come back.

"You still don't believe me," he murmurs gently with a mixture of surprise and sorrow flashing across his gorgeous face.

"I just—" you try to answer with a soft voice. A resigning sigh escapes you when you explain your feelings to him with the only way you could, "It's hard."

Not too surprisingly, he only responds to you with a nod. "I understand," he says, as if he truly knows exactly how you feel. That he truly understands how hard it would be for you to allow yourself to hope. To allow yourself be vulnerable when there is a risk of you getting hurt again like before.