❖ Chapter 30 ❖

5:53 AM

~Sagittarius~

Even the rhythmic thumping of my head against the window wasn't enough to fully wake me up. It was almost soothing, massaging the massive migraine that'd been tormenting me for the past three hours.

It was quiet in the car; I don't think anyone was up for a conversation and if they were, it was in whispers, so I couldn't hear it. Switching from the trunk to the back seat of the pickup was a great decision on my part; it was warm and I didn't feel like I was being completely sandwiched.

The drive was comfortable for the most part—I mean, it's pretty hard to avoid every pothole. But it was soothing and reminded me of when I was little, back when we went for drives with mom...she'd take us everywhere and anywhere. "The sky's the limit" She said.

My mind felt disturbed and I opened my eyes, greeted by the blurry seats in front of me. I shifted my body so that it wasn't pressed up against the door, sitting upright and rubbing my eyes.

"Just up here. Take a left." I hear Aries' voice and look towards the front, seeing him occupying the passenger seat.

Cancer was driving, steering to the left and heading up a winding road. I peek out the window for a second, seeing nothing but trees and dim street lamps whose warm yellow light contrasted the blue of dawn. The sidewalks were deserted and it didn't look like there was a house for miles.

"Dude, do you live in Snow White's cottage or something...?" I asked, which was honestly a mistake since my morning voice was...not so pleasant.

Aries looked over his shoulder, smiling. "You're finally awake? You were knocked out back there," He suppressed a laugh as I gave him a look. "Like this."

I watched with a scrunched face as Aries leaned his head back and opened his mouth wide, mimicking my—supposed—sleeping position.

    "I did not do that!" I hissed, bearing mind to the person sleeping next to me: Aquarius.

    "You totally did. Right, Cance?" Aries nudged her with his elbow.

    "I was looking at the road."

Cancer's voice was hoarse and quiet. She didn't feel like the same girl I used to go to school with, like her whole self was stripped from her body, leaving this. It's not like it was her fault she was so detached...I understood and knew not to push her.

She lost her mom....I did too—of course, not in the same way—but it sure felt similar. To lose someone you looked up to, who acted as your guide and lit up the world when it was dark...it was awful.

And a disgusting monster...was at fault.

"...You didn't answer my question." Feeling my emotions start to bubble over, I redirected my attention to Aries.

He stuck his tongue out at me, then pointed at the windshield. "Why don't you look and answer for yourself?"

I look out the window as he says that, just as Cancer pulls up to a house that must've been about two stories..? No—maybe three, I can see the window to an attic. A brick home with moss growing along the walls, wearing its old age on its sleeve and having windows large enough to see the inside, if the thick velvet curtains hadn't been there. The lawn reached a hue of yellow that reminded me of hay, with all types of toys and such littered about.