The pathway read me towards Daiwik, who was behind the curtains and I couldn't see him yet. I held my breath, gulping down. Before I was helped on the stairs of the stage by my mom and made to sit against the curtains, where I could see the figure, of a man I love.
I didn't raise my eyes to meet his, through the steal of gaps in the garland.

My brother Murshad sat on the bench, playing the role of Wali, Devakshaya and Inara with Taara are the witnesses for the marriage.

The officiant recited the words to me,
“Zehra Mohammad Hassan kya aapko Daiwik Muktam Agnihotri se, Shanti Haveli Mahr ke saath, ye nikah qubool hai?”
(Mahr is property or gifted to the bride at the wedding)

And I blinked, shock on my face, Shanti Haveli?
This Haveli, behind me?

I watched blankly, the officiant repeated the same words,
“Kya aapko ye nikah qubool hai?”

I looked up at the man against the flowers, “Qubool hai.” I replied, but I was still not over the surprise that was given me, the shock.
“Qubool hai,”
“Qubool hai,”

The same question was repeated to Daiwik,
“Daiwik Muktam Agnihotri, kya aapko Zehra Mohammad Hassan se, Shanti Haveli Mahr ke saath ye nikah qubool hai?” He was asked and he spoke behind, “Qubool hai, Qubool hai, Qubool hai,” 

I smiled at his one-breath answer and looked down. I was passed the contract to sign after it had his signature. I wrote my name in my signature, before the witnesses, Inara and Taara with Devakshaya to sign the contract.
After the final announcement of the wedding was made.

I passed my hand through the garland and taking Daiwik's hand, I was made to step him towards my side.
The flowers brushed against his shoulders while he took a pace my way.
Finally seeing him.

I felt him holding his breath when he witnessed me and stood beside me. The wedding is finally official.
I raise my head to meet his eyes, his multicoloured eyes of grey and green.
“Kamal hai, Zehra? Pehle zinda kar ti ho? Or fir khud hi apni khubsurti se maar daalti ho?”
(Strange, Zehra? You give me hope to live and then you kill me with your beauty?)

~

The open banquet and reception took place, in the crowd-filled garden and I sat alone on the seat. Daiwik was here with me earlier but he just walked somewhere.

“Hey! Bride? I know you are already married, but if you are ever planning to turn gay? Just know I will scramble myself for you," Inara came and sat on the stool behind the bench I was sitting at, and a smile on her lips.

I sighed heavily, crossed my legs and held her gaze, “Why do you flirt? Inara?" I asked her finally, and she chuckled before eyeing the men in the crowd of guests.

“Have you ever had a gaze on you that made you feel unclothed?" She asked me, and answered herself, "Before an eyes like that land on me. I make sure they go away in mortification."
She spoke before she held my upper arms, "And now. Look at that. What your man has prepared for you?" She told me and made me turn towards another stage.

The man sat there with classical music instrumental, and Daiwik stood there with a mike in his hand. My breath hitched,

The promise of a melody made for me?
I held my breath, when his words rang in the garden, eyes turning to him.
While mine refused to take off from him.

“Zehra, the music that played inside me, left me the day in our past I had for gone you. But while for one and a half months I sat in front of Vandigana's gate and waited for you? I formed a melody for you. Just the way I had promised I would."

His words rang before the music placed the room in set stone and the rhythm from his throat made the tiny hair on my body stand.

His voice engulfed, the room, captive. If he had left singing? And he held every wavelength of his vocal so efficiently.

What would have happened if he continued?

His music played, and the last part of him talked about how he wanted to apologize to me. And want me to hold him and forgive him.

I blanked when the last breath hit me, and I met his eyes.
“Already take her to bed! Daiwik! ” I don't know whose voice was that, but laughter followed the room, and blush on my face.

“Go, girl! He is your husband! No one will judge you for getting nasty with him!" I heard Inara behind me, turning even red, I stepped down the stairs, walked toward his stage, and did the same with his side, covering half the stance between us.

He held my hand, nostalgia hitting me, like that day, and his words held me.
“I love you.”

And I wanted to give him back this time, “I love you too.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->DROP REVIEWS
STAY TUNED FOR BONUS CHAPTERS
1. My apologies to Muslim readers if I made a fault in showing the wedding.

2. I know the song is not what you wanted, but I had to make something that was romantic, longing, good voice, showed classical, and had Rajasthani word play.
You can always imagine your own song?

3. DEVAKSHAYA's BOOK IS OUT NOW