Chapter 3 - House of Beorn

Start from the beginning

"I... Is this a good idea?" Bilbo asked uncertainly as he approached the Grey Wizard.

"Yes, Gandalf? I don't fancy being torn apart before breakfast, do you?" Anaynah questioned as she joined their side.

"Oh shush you, Anaynah! Now the rest of you just wait here and don't come out until I give the signal."

"Right, wait for the signal," Bofur nodded in comprehension from his spot by the window.

"And no sudden movements or loud noises and don't overcrowd him. Only come out in pairs," Gandalf instructed, pausing to add, "Actually Bombur, you count as two so you should come out alone. Remember, wait for the signal."

With that, Gandalf and Bilbo left the house Anaynah hesitated. Her eyes made their way behind her, glancing at Kili, who offered an encouraging smile and thumbs up before she joined the two heading towards the axe-wielding man.

"You're nervous," Bilbo remarked from one side. The Wizard cleared his throat and looked down at him, visibly flinching as another piece of wood was chopped in half.

"Nervous? What Nonsense," Gandalf quietly denied, though his wavering voice didn't inspire much confidence.

"Well, here goes nothing," Anaynah muttered under her breath. If Gandalf was scared, then she knew they should be too.

"Morning!" Gandalf called out with a smile as politely as he could.

It seemed as if Beorn did not hear Gandalf for he swung his axe back and onto the wood once more, nearly taking the Wizard's head off. That or he chose to ignore him.

"Good morning!" Gandalf sang out once more. This time Beorn had heard him no doubt, for he did not try to chop the wood again. He did not turn around, however, instead ever so slightly turning his head with his back to the three.

"Who are you?" His voice growled deep and low causing Anaynah to swallow the lump in her throat.

    "I'm Gandalf, Gandalf the Grey

"I'm Gandalf, Gandalf the Grey." As he introduced himself with a smile he slightly bowed to show respect. In a swift motion, Beorn finally turned around, his axe still in hand with the head on the ground. Anaynah was now able to have a good look at him. Strong and tall, his face was heavily covered by his beard and thick bushy eyebrows, his skin scarred and tan. However as she looked into his eyes, she saw kindness in them, no matter how terrifying he appeared to be.

"Never heard of him."

Gandalf seemed at a loss for words at his comment but he quickly pulled himself together.

"I'm a Wizard. Perhaps you have heard of my colleague; Radagast the Brown? he resides in the southern borders of Mirkwood," Beorn remained silent, however his eyes now moved to Anaynah, who remained completely still whilst holding her breath, "Oh, how rude of me, and this here is my travel companion; Anaynah, a Ranger of the North." Anaynah bowed her head slightly with a smile as Gandalf introduced her.