Chapter 40

Blinding camera lights and phone flashes from paparazzi clouded my vision, as I attempted to park my jeep at the valet service line. Stepping out of the matte vehicle, I could hear numerous strangers calling out my name, but the walled fence prevented me from identifying any of the prying eyes of the public. 

In the last few weeks, I'd noticed how the media had been working uncannily hard to pinpoint the exact arrival times of each place I visited. It was strange.

As expected, Kendall had made good on his promise and arranged for us to share a Saturday evening dinner. Because he had prior obligations, he suggested we meet at the restaurant separately, which I had fervently cosigned. Considering, we were more than likely bound to get... distracted, if we'd chosen to ride together.

Promptly after lending my car keys to the awaiting attendant, I was escorted by private security to a secluded entrance of the luxury restaurant. As they led me through a dark exterior corridor, I felt consciously overwhelmed by the many sets of unfamiliar faces stilled on me. Combined with the chilly winter air, I began to rethink the rash decision to decline Kendall's initial offer to dine at his estate. 

While my nose increasingly reddened by the second, I attempted to stop my teeth from aggressively chattering. Though I wore a rather thick faux fur jacket, I was keenly becoming aware of how much unprotected skin my ribbed top exposed to the frothy air. Releasing a loud exhale, I continued to follow security through the willowing tunnel.

"Sasha! Wow, you look amazing! Please, can I get a quick picture of you!" A random paparazzi member noted, seeming to appear out of nowhere to snap a sequence of purposefully off-guard photos of me. 

Using one of my ringed hands to shield my face, I became even more precarious of the unprecedented attention I had been receiving. Yes, it was true that having the Milton last name had made me quite well-known around the tristate area. However, the persistent media frenzy that had been occurring within the last few weeks was far too much for even someone like me to wrap my head around. 

It wasn't until yesterday that I happened to come across an entertainment magazine citing Patricia's name all over the gossip section, as she threatened to disclose "juicy details" about the nature of Kendall and I's professed scandalous affair. After quickly skimming over the sensationalized contents of the article, it was then that I realized the cause of all the recent attention I'd been receiving from the public.

As to be anticipated from someone possessing a character as defamed as Patricia's, the article was full of false accounts and imaginary pretenses alluding to a comical storyline of how I had conjured up some grand ploy to steal Kendall away from her. From then, it became obvious that she was the one to blame for the snooping media's growing resolve to track my every move.

It seemed that they're underlying mission was to uncover more information on New York's most eligible bachelor and his potential  situationship with a Milton.

"You can enter inside this way, m'am." One of the burly security guards directed, as he held the door open for me and I gratefully rushed into the further concealed establishment.

We walked down a dim hall, before entering the larger ground floor space. Passing through the VIP section, I could make out Kendall's dark locks as his tawny back faced me. He seemed to be preoccupied by an intense phone conversation, sidetracking him as I slowly approached him. 

Pausing only to thank the security guards who'd safely escorted me thus far, I silently continued on my way to him alone. Once I reached the table where he was distractedly seated, I tried to place a hand on his shoulder to sparingly catch him off guard. However, as if instinctively sensing my touch, he roughly grasped my wrist before it could fully land on his shoulder.