Chapter 22 - Peace

Start from the beginning

When Quaritch shot me one last time, throwing me into the fire in front of my family, the Velek ran after me, grabbing me and pulling me into the ocean to heal me. My arms, torso and legs were most effected, but the Velek had managed to turn them into light scars. 

My skin that was once smooth and soft was now bumpy and looked like it had been through hell. 

"It is true sir, we all saw them." Kiri said, trying to help me. it was hard to get Tonowari and Ronal to believe us since non of us were from the reef clans. 

"And you bonded with them?"

"I didn't have much of a choice. I passed out and when I woke up, there was one connected. every time I was thrown back in, they would come and heal me. The only way they could do that was to make the bond."

"how is this possible. You should be dead. All of you should be dead" Ronal yelled. She was quite flustered. 

"All I know is they saved me and they listened to me. As far as im concerned, they aren't all that evil. I think they have just been given a bad wrap"

"despite the fact they they did not in fact eat any hearts of the people they killed, I do agree." Kiri added. 

"they are creatures not of the balance. Not of Eywa-"

"And neither am I." Ronal was shocked at my interruption. But she soon realised I was right in a way. I could not connect with Eywa. There had to be some kind of connection.

Silence fell between the group. Ronal picked up her things and walked to the Maruis, her Kids following behind. 

Tonowari stayed to help my mother and father take Neteyam to be prepared for the ceremony tonight. 

Tuk grabbed my hand as we started to walk towards our Marui. 

"I am happy you are safe" she whispered. "you are home."

A smile crept onto my face. Despite all of the pain that had been endured the past weeks, Tuk managed to make me feel a sense of calm and happiness. 

and it was true. I was home. Home with my family. Home with my loved ones. Home with the ones I cared for more than anything. 

xxx

Tuk was fast asleep. Not much was said between Lo'ak, Kiri, Spider and I. I certainly didn't want to talk about my time away and non of us had many happy memories from the past few days. 

There was no chance I was going to sleep. Any time I closed my eyes, all I saw was death. 

Tue'fay

Fàlin

Anu'tim

Neteyam. 

What felt like hundreds of others. 

I couldn't stay still. I had to get up. Go somewhere. But we weren't allowed to leave the village. No one was allowed in the water. So the only place I could go, was the Dock near our Marui. Far away enough from my family, close enough they would know Where I was.

I sat down and let my feet dangle in the water. It wasn't long before I wasn't alone any longer though. 

Tsireya sat down next to me. 

I gave her a quick smile before looking back out to the water. 

"I am glad you are safe. Your family was looking for you every second they had. We all were." I had never known Tsireya to be sad. but her voice said it all. hearing her so broken made it very hard to keep my emotions in.