2

Marley G. Cooper

"April 17th, 2001, I was cussing out all the doctors and nurses telling them to get you out of me. Now look at you, 22 years old!" my mother exclaimed over the phone making me chuckle. "You say that every year mama."

"Cause it's true! I knew soon as they got you out that I was one and done." I simply shook my head at her, she said that every year too.

"We're celebrating as soon as you get back in town right?" I questioned.

She was in New York for work right now, her job had always required her to travel a lot, so I was used to it by now.

"Of course we are. What are you doing today?" she asked. I shrugged, forgetting she couldn't see me, "Jayla should be over here soon, I haven't heard from Shilo or Shedeur yet."

"Well that's a first—" she started but was interrupted by someone talking in the background, "I gotta get back to work baby, I love you and text me!"

"Alright mom, love you too." I hung up the phone and headed to unlock the door for Jayla since she'd just pulled up.

"Ahhh happy birthday bestie!" she squealed quickly putting my gift and card down and pulling me into a hug. "Thanks Jay." I said as we pulled apart.

She looked me up and down with a frown on her face. "Why you not ready?"

"I told you I just wanted to chill today." I responded, heading back to my bedroom. I had went all out for my 21st birthday, so much so, I felt like I celebrated enough to make up for not doing anything for 22.

"Okay, get ready so we can go chill at the mall or something." Jayla said following me into my room. I sighed, already knowing she wasn't going to take no for an answer.

She plopped down on my bed as I walked into the bathroom to start getting myself ready. After completing my hygiene routine, I sat in front of my vanity to do some light makeup. The sound of my phone vibrating broke my concentration, I looked down seeing Shedeur was facetiming me. I quickly answered and propped up the phone.

"Did you forget what day it was?" I said snarkily, as I resumed my makeup.

"Of course not. I meant to call you earlier, but they got me doing media stuff today." He explained, watching me intently.

"Okay, say it." I said trying to hide the smile on my face. Shedeur chuckled "Happy birthday beautiful."

"Why thank you." I smiled at the camera, prompting him to take a Facetime photo of me. "Where you finna go?" he questioned.

"To the mall with Jayla." I said panning the camera over to her. "Hey Shedeur!!" she said excitedly, "Wassup" he responded blandly. Shedeur didn't care much for Jayla, which I found amusing since she was always gushing about how handsome he was.

"Make sure you by yourself later, imma be over there to take you out to eat." He instructed and I nodded, "Dang I can't come." Jayla said coming into the camera.

"Nah you good." He responded making me laugh, "Where Shilo?" I asked making him shrug.

"He around here somewhere, imma hit you back later though."

"Okay" I said, and he ended the call. My phone vibrated again, and it was Shedeur texting me. He'd sent me $2200 dollars on apple pay with a message reading 'Lemme know if you need some more ❤️'️

"You stay hogging the good men." Jayla said plopping back down on my bed, "Me being his friend has nothing to do with him not liking you Jayla." I responded heading to my closet to put on my outfit.