«11» lies we tell (I)

Depuis le début

Yaseerah had never hated the circumstances surrounding her life as much as she did in this moment, as she thought of a parallel life, where she got to be with the one she chose to be with.

•—۵—•

Another night, another outfit dilemma. She tried to close her eyes and pick an outfit at random, but the perfectionist in her could not stand that idea.

And so, here she stood once again in the middle of her closet clad in a robe with her makeup done, browsing for the perfect outfit for the low-key movie night.

After a few moments of contemplation, she settled on a beautifully tailored wide-leg trousers in a rich burgundy color.

Next, she chose a stylish, long-sleeved blouse with intricate embroidery along the cuffs and collar. The blouse’s muted gold hue complemented the trousers perfectly, creating a look that was both refined and tasteful.

For an added touch of sophistication and modesty, she selected a black abaya with delicate patterns that matched her outfit’s color scheme. She draped its scarf gracefully over her shoulders, ensuring it covered her hair, before she turned towards her shoe rack.

Her choice of footwear was a pair of comfortable yet fashionable loafers, perfect for a relaxed evening indoors.

As she gazed at her reflection, she couldn't help but feel a sense of contentment with her attire. It struck the balance she always sought: chic and modest.

With her outfit selected she stepped out of her bedroom, ready to slip out undetected. However, as she entered the hallway that connected her room to Lubna’s section of the house, she was met with an unexpected sight; Lubna pacing the length of the hallway with a crying Amna on her shoulder.

Yaseerah’s heart raced as a weighted silence ensured between them. She knew that Lubna had her suspicions about her outings but she prayed that today wouldn’t be the day her secret became uncovered.

Lubna looked up from soothing Amna and her eyes bore into Yaseerah’s, icy and penetrating. “You're dressed up,” Lubna stated, her tone laden with accusation.

Yaseerah swallowed hard, her voice calm but measured. “How kind of you to notice,” she said with a thinly veiled smile.

“Where are you going?” Lubna asked, her tone laced with gentle curiosity.

“I'm going out with friends,” Yaseerah responded. “Not that it’s any of your business.”

Lubna’s lips curled into a thin smile that held no warmth. “Friends, huh? Is that what you call it now?”

“I don't have time for this right now,” Yaseerah scoffed, trying to hide the tremor that ran across her hand.

She didn’t want to think about all the evil plans Lubna was concocting inside her head, all of which ended with Yaseerah’s secret being outed to her father.

But Lubna wasn’t finished. “You’re always in such a hurry, aren't you? It’s almost like you’re hiding something.”

Yaseerah clenched her fists, the strain of her double life wearing on her. “I am getting married remember? As a bride-to-be, I have so much responsibilities Lubna, and I take them seriously.”

Lubna's voice dropped to a whisper, laced with menace. “Just remember, Yaseerah, secrets have a way of coming to light. You might want to be careful.”