Nikki laughed. "I think someone has a crush. I told you he was very handsome, didn't I, Grandma?"

    Mrs. Wagner visibly blushed at this remark, and I chuckled.

    "I don't know what lies she's been telling you about me." I cast a glance in Nikki's direction. "But they're probably all true."

    Nikki smiled wider. "Let go of him now, Grandma, so he can come sit by me."

    Her grandma obliged, and I made my way around to the other side of the bed, pulling up a chair next to her.

    "Every time I come here I make sure my grandma gets to eat her favorite pudding, which is butterscotch, by the way. She can't feed herself very well, so I like to help her enjoy her treat. Do you mind waiting while I do that first? Then we can go on the rest of our date."

    "Sure. Do whatever you need to. I'm at your mercy for the entire day."

    "I like the sound of that," Nikki said with a grin.

    An orderly entered the room carrying what I assumed was pudding in a small parfait glass with a spoon.

    "Here's your dish, Mrs. Wagner. Straight from the kitchen, just the way you like it." The young man smiled and served the dish toward her with a flourish, as if he were the best waiter in a fancy restaurant. 

    Mrs. Wagner gave her same half smile back to him. 

    Nikki took the dessert, sat on the edge of the bed, and began carefully feeding her grandma. She had to pause every now and then and wipe the woman's face with a napkin, but eventually she managed to patiently serve her every bite.

    "Did you enjoy that?" Nikki asked her, and she nodded. "Good. Would you like me to read to you a little before I go?"

    Mrs. Wagner shook her head and pointed at me.

    "You want Chase to read to you?" She giggled.

    Her grandma denied her again and smiled wider, loosely gesturing toward the door.

    "Oh. You want me to leave with him, don't you?" 

    Her grandma nodded and dropped her hand back into her lap.

    "Well, I guess we've been kicked out, Chase. Let's go." Nikki picked up her bag off the nightstand before bending to kiss her grandma on the cheek. "Love you. I'll tell you all about it later, okay?"

    "It was nice to meet you," I said again, patting the woman's hand, and she turned hers so she could clasp mine once more. She released me quickly this time, and I smiled before I followed Nikki through the door.

    "She likes you," Nikki said with a grin.

    "I think I might like her too. Of course, I don't really know her, but she seems as though she's a nice enough lady."

    "She's wonderful. She also happens to be an incurable romantic. That's why she was so eager to rush us out of there."

    "Really? Does that mean I should be expecting romance on this date you've planned?" I teased.

    "You haven't qualified for that kind of attention yet, but you're getting closer," she replied.

    "I haven't qualified? What is this, some sort of test or something?"

    "Yep, and you're passing so far, so just chill and roll with it." She elbowed me in the ribs.

    "It's a good thing I like you."

Chasing NikkiOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara